Bought myself a project, 2001 Coleman Niagra Elite

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by RPD3D, Mar 18, 2018.

1. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

1st post! I have been researching popup rehab here. Plenty of good folks and great info. Thanks

I have been looking for a cheap popup, well found one and now I am thinking what have I gotten myself into.

The good:
    Canvass in decent shape(needs cleaning)
    Roof not leaking, minimal or no bow
    AC works
    Plumbing works
    Fridge works electric
    Lights work
    Goes up and down smooth
    Beds and slide in/out smooth
    Bed floors good shape
    Cabinets in good shape.
    Pulled home great
    Tires are fair, spare new

Didn’t have any propane so not sure about stove, heater, fridge(propane) or water heater.

The Bad. Things I know I am going to have to repair:
    1. Roof is delaminated
    2. Front abs box cracked and has holes
    3. Lid for front box latches broke
    4. Wood structure and floor in front box need replaced, rotted
    5. Back abs panel cracked and leaking
    6. Wood structure for back panel has some damage
    7. One foot of floor on each end of camper needs to be replaced
    8. One side panel is slightly damaged
    9. Slide out will not stay locked
    10. Trailer lights not working
    11. New seal around top
    12. Repack wheel bearings
    13. Thorough cleaning of drapes, cushions and mattresses.
    14. Camper is dirty need general cleaning.
    I am sure there is more........

I have researched the roof issue and planning on stripping old abs and applying Grizzly Grip.

I am concerned about the abs box and back cover. I am thinking repair cracks and holes with MEK goop and use Grizzly Grip to recover those. Do you all have any suggestions?

I have very little money in camper. Is she worth fixing up? What would expense be involved? I am thinking about $300 for Grizzly Grip, $140 for seal, $20 for MEK and ABS pellets, $200 for wood and misc. All cost are approximate. I would like to stay under $800. Could it be done?

What else do you all see that needs to be done?

I will post some pics of outside of camper. Rain in forecast and will get pic of inside later this week.

36A0DC28-84E9-4565-97A8-3C91CB619E98.jpeg

AF3D9A73-6269-4A43-90C5-CC2583B44DD3.jpeg

CBC92C73-E031-441E-952C-47E405EBD72D.jpeg
    Previous owners son ran into it with 4 wheeler
    8608A93A-BCDD-4C65-9CCD-EFD7482263C3.jpeg
    Can spare tire cover be repaired?
    FD2B803D-C977-488B-AA5D-5CDDF4C49832.jpeg

8F2C240E-274C-4896-91A6-69017D53166C.jpeg
    Delamination of roof
    1783AE0C-960E-4C34-A257-42F738CFC4EF.jpeg
    Latch broke on box lid
    88635DB3-6767-4CCA-800C-A543F8A26C23.jpeg
    Crack behind box lid

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Do you have any pics of the inside? Doing a google search, that's a good size camper. Do you have the tools and the space to rebuild it? I've got the tools, but don't have the space or any help.

3. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Looks like you have a lot to work with. Is that a storage box on front?

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

There is a lot to be done, a lot depends on your knowledge, time and ability to do the job and you do not know the extent of damages /rot etc. until you get into the project. also do you have the tools to do the repairs and a place to park it inside a garage, carport or something to get it out of the weather while taken apart ? It can make a nice project and most of the work looks to be labor and time. Next thing is will you have more into it that it is really worth ? Good Luck with the camper and Happy Camping

5. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Your PUP is similar to mine, with several of the same issues...

I think your estimates are on the low side - especially for the wood and misc category.
    The spare tire cover may be able to be repaired - I'd try ABS goo/slurry impregnated fiberglass on the inside. The ABS goo wont do it on it's own - My $0.02
    The roof strip and grizzly grip is pretty close to accurate. Don't forget to add a new gasket for the AC if you're going through the trouble. You'll likely need some bondo or glazing to fill holes/voids and smooth things out.
    You need to fix that crack behind the storage box - I tried with ABS goo, and finally just fiberglassed that entire section after taking off the storage box lid. There will likely be cracks under the hinge also that need to get sealed up.
    The front box....well, that's going to be a project...I have to do the same soon. I'm contemplating replacing the entire box with a storage rack, or some custom metal box. Several examples in the forum of folks who have done an entire rebuild and also those that have ripped it out and gone a different direction.
    You may have a diamond in the rough, but you'll have some work to do to get it to sparkle!

Good luck - you're in the right place for questions!

Erik

6. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

I will get pics of inside this week. Rain here yesterday and today so I didn't want to put it up for inside pics. Biggest PUP camper that Coleman made.

7. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

Yes I have the skills, tools and garage to do the work. Time is always my limiting factor. I just have to set this as priority and get her done.

8. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

Yes it is

tntimeshare likes this.
  9. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

Thanks for input, I can raise my Wood and Misc to $340 and still be under $800, so should be good there. I just don't want to put more money into camper than what she would be worth.

Yes I have seen mods of front box. Will prolly go with some rack system.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

11. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

There is a good chance that my camper will get damaged by me, or Living on the coast, by a hurricane. Neither of which are covered by liability insurance. I called to get a quote on full coverage - $6000 with a $500 deductible for $7.75/month. $6000 is a lot more than I paid and if it gets totaled, I could easily have enough to buy another NTU camper. With what you are spending, I think it will be worth a lot by the time you're finished. The NADA value of a 2001 Coleman Niagra is around $12000, depending on features. There is an add for Progressive for $125/year -- you can't get that return in the stock market.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

wha? $12,000 for 2001 Niagara? I thought it was $4,500 when I bought the 2002 Niagara 3 years ago...

13. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

When researching this camper I thought book value was between $1,800 and $2,200. I paid $400 for camper, hoping to do rehab for $800. So only have $1200 in it.

After looking more at PUP and researching fixes with front storage box, I amd going to pull box of and put in storage rack. That should save some time and money. I am not one that wants to restore this, I just want a camper that I can use and be comfortable in.

ezakoske likes this.
  14. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

When I bought mine, I checked the value of it and the high/low retail was between $1300-$1600. I paid more than that, but the value was $6000.00. When I got the insurance quote, I thought it would be the purchase price but it was for the $6,000.00. It will be covered for more than I paid.
    Check yours again and see what it is now.

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Was the value $1800-$2200, or was that the low/high retail?
    I think you could probably do a deck platform on the front where the storage box is a lot easier and it would probably hold more stuff like a generator.

Your roof is in pretty bad shape on the outside. How is it on the inside? Have you thought about using the roll rubber roof or fiberglass? I know my roof sideboards are rotted, but I don't know about the front/rear boards. If they are not rotted and if damp I can dry it out, I'm thinking of using wood hardener - it will harden the wood and I can cover it with paint.

I don't have a lot of money to put into my camper, and I've got to buy stuff for the truck before I ever get started. And, I've had to buy all the camping gear. And while I haven't bought anything expensive, and go for cheap, it does add up.

Like you, I didn't want to restore mine either, but it has damage that I didn't see the night I first looked at it. And the latches aren't that secure. I'm hoping it's not rotted wood, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. If I can get the roof sideboards replaced and get the lights to work, I'll be able to use it for at least one trip before I try to do anything else major. I need to fix where the dinette was bolted to the floor and there's a hole, but I could temporarily use duct tape. Once the hole is fixed, I want to put down peel and stick tile, but that's easy and inexpensive.

16. RPD3D

RPD3D New Member

Low retail $1800 High $2200

Inside looks good, no bow or sag from weight of AC.

I will probably remove AC and put in vent fan. This is going to be a spring/fall/winter camper for me.

Here is a thread on removing front box and adding storage rack. I have the same problem he had except only about a foot of floor needs to be remove. From what I can tell I can salvage cabinets and shower base.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/partial-floor-replacement.116279/#post-1184295

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

There's a big difference between retail and book value. If my camper comes loose and rolls over, liability insurance won't cover that and I'd be out of a camper with no money to replace it. I don't plan on selling mine, but I don't want to lose it either. I have full coverage on both vehicles and will on my camper too.

You have the skills, the tools and the space, and a lot of camper to work with. You've got a lot of room to do anything you want and won't be losing any floor space. Anything you could store in the compartment on the front, can be stored in the tow vehicle.

I did notice on the thread that you provided that there was mention of the hot water heater. You can get an on demand tankless water heater on ebay as low as $25.00. I don't have plumbing in my camper, but I could still do an outdoor sink and have hot water if need be. I could even setup an outdoor shower if there's a water hookup.

I wish I had your a/c. It gets hot here.

18. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Until 2004 when the Highwall campers were introduced.

That would be MSRP value.

19. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Looks like you have a lot to work with. Should be a fun project.

20. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Yes. But that's the value my insurance company gave me a quote for, not what I paid.