Bought Pop up with no Title - Eek!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Chelsea, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

well I bet this would work on any trailer!! Crazy when you think about it!

2. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

[email protected] Active Member

I only know North Dakota rules and here we can get what is called a sheriffs title for lost titles, abandoned vehicles, junk in a backyard farm shelterbelt and that stuff. Usually signed letter from land owner or bill of sale from previous keeper of the object. We do pay sales tax and all campers are licensed no matter what size. Behind motorcycle campers are licensed. Good luck on your quest

3. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Chelsea,
    Here in FL 4 years ago almost to the day I went through it and according to the National Highway & Traffic Safety Admin., which oversees the FL DMV the max is 2999 lbs., GVWR and you DO NOT need a title as anything under 3k lbs is considered a "Utility Trailer". What you WILL NEED is a Bill of Sale so you can pay Sales Tax and Tag...for mine @ $500 I paid an additional $102.60.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You can have a letter from GA DMV written for you saying that you did not have the title due to GA's policy... Alabama DMV did that for me when I moved to California. it went smoothly with the letter and got a plate for the old popup.

Orchid likes this.
  5. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

In Maine, as long as the trailer weighs under 2000 lbs, you can register it without a title, just need a bill of sale with the vin number, make and model on it. I just went through this, and almost had to try to apply for a title, cause my brother in law, previous owner, had it registered all wrong, and I went off his registration. But just to be safe, give a call to your local DMV/BMV and ask.

6. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

I've also seen there are ways to register a trailer/vehicle in another state, Connecticut is having an issue with it. In Connecticut, if you owe back property taxes, you cannot register your vehicle/trailer until the bill is paid. The State is beginning to see a lot of Maine plates popup down there because people are somehow registering their vehicle in Maine, and just renewing online. It is 100% legal, but irritates Connecticut because property taxes are not getting paid.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

8. SiAm Traveler

SiAm Traveler Member

Look at registering it in Maine. I have several friends/co-workers that have done that. Just Google search Maine trailer registration.

9. Chelsea

Chelsea New Member

Hi Everyone! We were finally able to meet up with the lady we bought the pup up from and got an official Bill of Sale. Things with the pop up were put on hold for a bit due to truck issues, but hopefully we will get to the tag office this week and see if the Bill of Sale does the trick - Fingers Crossed! Thanks, everyone!

10. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Best of luck, it'll all work out.