1. Sdickson501

Sdickson501 New Member

Couldn't decide if this would be better here or "in the garage".... Anyone else have braces in the corners of their older rigs? My SIL was working on cleaning out a 80's something pop up a few years back when the cables broke, and luckily she wasn't inside cause the top slammed down hard. So before our first outing my husband is going to cut 4X4 wood poles to put in 2 of the corners inside the camper as a emergency precaution. Anyone else do this, or have the cables break on them in the past? Our NTU camper is a 98 but still, rather be safe than sorry.

2. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

My Forest river came with emergency suports for 2 corners but I do keep 4 precut 2x2 in the camp box just incase a cable lets go far from the house. 4x4's sound a little over kill and a storage hog

3. George Rose

George Rose Member

A couple 2x2 will work fine.

4. Sdickson501

Sdickson501 New Member

thanks! we will probably go with the 2x2's then :)

5. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Put a Velcro strap around them and the uprights. That way they don't slip out.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

PVC pipe will work as well ..

7. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Mine came with 2 from the factory, but if the cables snap, I wouldn't mind having 4 [8D]

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Our Rockwood came with 2 braces from the factory. I've been after my DD and SIL to make a couple with 2x2s for their 95 PU.

Campit

9. kpic

kpic New Member

Or you can buy steel or aluminum U channel.

10. NEWTOME

NEWTOME Member

my rwood also.....great safety feature

11. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Mine came with 4 pieces of conduit with hockey tape on each end, it would be less than $6 at home depot and smaller than wood. I also bought some velcro straps to tie them to the posts with.

12. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Haybale, do you put yours up on the inside or outside of the PU? You're right, conduit is way cheaper. And what size is it? 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch?

Campit

13. chipskiittles

chipskiittles Member

I have the goshen system and when I was rebuilding/replacing the normal stuff that a 25 year old poorly maintained lift system needs, I went ahead and got the u channel supports from them. I think they were like $7 for both

14. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

My Rockwood came with 2 from the factory and I place them at the front right and left rear so they are on opposite sides.

15. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I would think 3/4 or 1 inch...I use "U" extrusions cut from old vertical blinds. (mine came with supports that were stored in the rear bumper) [;)]

16. JT2

JT2 Member

"PVC pipe will work as well .. "

Well, yes it probably will but PVC is not designed to be used in compression. The stuff will shatter when squeezed end-to-end with enough force or impact. With multiple pieces of PVC in use as a roof safeties, the risk is probably very minimal but still present. Using steel or aluminum tubing or channel reduces the risk to functionally zero at little added cost.

/JT

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yeah... Just sayin' but FWIW, I've used 1-1/2" ABS several times over the past few years and never worried about compression-related failures. In fact, due to cable and pully failure, I used two pipes to hold up the front corners during our entire first season. They work just fine and have proven to be reliable even under extremely windy conditions.

ABS/PVC is cheap, easy to find, cut and store. Keep in mind that it's not a bridge and nobody is going to be square dancing up there.

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

18. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya.... but if you're going to go through the trouble to make something, make it count. There could be some thing much heavier hitting that roof than you think. If a cable snaps, anything will hold the roof up, but during a storm, all kinds of things come at you.... "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!"
    That tree missed the Pup, but the Pup also took enough damage to write it off. That was 2 summers ago and 3 sites away from ours.

[​IMG]

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If something like that tree falls, doesn't matter if your in a pup, TT or 5'er ... They are all going to squish...

20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Mine are only 1/2in and they are plenty for my little 8ft box. They are on the outside right by my lift arms and I velcro them to the lift posts.