Brake Control Units

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Calicajun, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

We are looking for a brake control unit to install in our 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Wondering if anyone has installed a "Hayman Reese Compact IQ" brake control unit in their vehicle.
    Also what brake control units is everybody using?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Calicajun likes this.
  3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I use a Direclink. It is a close to integrated controller that used vehicle data from OBDll for braking logic. It has duel range speed set up as well as a trailer weight programming scale. It utilizes two modules (command and control) and is removable when not in use, leaving the brain of the system under the dash and out of sight.

After a few years with this control, I have to say it puts others I have used out of use for me. The system is expandable and can accommodate disc brakes and antilock braking.

http://www.direclink.com/

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

5. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. cannotbackup

cannotbackup Member

We tow a ~2500 lbs PUP behind a 2011 Honda Pilot (4500 lbs tow capacity). Got a Tekonsha Prodidgy. It is a well spoken of/reviewed unit. The Pilot has a factory tow package. It has plug and play connect for the brake controller. Just had to get a quick connect. Attempted a velcro install of the brake controller mount, but no good so screwed the mount to the lower dash.

7. justwork

justwork Active Member

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have a tekonsha prodigy now called the p2. Love it. It makes braking with the trailer feel like braking without the trailer...

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have two Tekonsha units, a Voyager in the primary tv and a P3 in the secondary tv.. The Voyager does the job and works ok, but I love using the P3, setup on it makes the whole braking experience much nicer IMO..

10. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

The Hayman Reese Compact IQ brake controller you reference is a cool item, but unfortunately it isn't aviailable in the US market right now, only in Australia. My contacts at Tekonsha tell me that they have no plans in the near future to offer that controller in the US.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments above about the Tekonsha P2 or P3. You can't go wrong either way. The P3 has what I'd consider a more 'user friendly' display, so for somebody who's less familar with towing it might be the better choice becasue the display will point out any faults in the trailer braking system and tell you exactly what they are, instead of displaying an error code you'll have to look up like the P2 would.

If the thing you found attractive about the Reese IQ controller was that the control unit was unobtrusively installed below the dash where it's more or less out of sight, while the display/controls which are much smaller are placed close to the driver, Hopkins offers a similar unit called the Insight. Performance wise though, I'd always choose the Tekonsha.

For more information, or if you'd like to see an installatoin video showing a controller being installed on a 2017 Ridgeline, click the link provided below.

Hope that helps

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-93.html

ezakoske likes this.
  11. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

To bad, the size of the Hayman Compact IQ brake controller fits the Ridgeline truck perfectly. If I can't the Hayman, I will be getting a P3 controller. :)

12. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

A Hayman Reese Sentinel was already installed in my Excursion when I bought it. Had never used a brake controller or had a need for one until I bought my Baja with the ATV deck. Its digital, but not quite on the level with a Prodigy and the so-called "intelligent" controllers from what I've read. Still, it was super easy to use and I could dial down the brake rate if it was too strong for what I needed. Personally, I don't like all the buttons and gadgets on something that isn't going to be used often. A rotary dial for rate and a manual controller is about all I need. If I were hauling a bigger/heavier load, then I'd consider it. My Excursion weighs in around 7500 lbs and my Baja is about 4000 lbs when fully loaded with camp gear and toys. This controller is more than enough for me.

Calicajun likes this.
  13. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Save your money and look at the Tekonsha Primus IQ.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/TK90160.html

Unless you need to pull a trailer with Electric over Hydrolic (really big trailers or big saltwater boat trailers) or just want the fancy display, the Primus IQ does everything the P2 or P3 does but cheaper ($70 vs $114), as long as you can mount it with the reduced mounting angle. Plus it is about 1/2 the size when you include the P2/P3 mounting brackets. In my Mercury Monterrey (Ford minivan) I was able to mount it inside the now useless CD case holder slot.

14. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

Nice looking unit and I like the size. Will look into that one also.
    Thanks

15. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member