Brake controller recommendations

anothersmith

Aug 24, 2018
I have surge brakes on my Jayco 1206, I’m not a fan of them. The trailer fees super heavy on my brakes.

I am planning to get them changed for electric brakes and I’m looking for controller recommendations.

I’m being Quoted around $1,100 to get the brakes changed out. Sound fair, for the Bay Area?

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
The Prodigy P3 is the undisputed leader in all of the threads that talk about the best brake controllers. But that's not what I bought. Why?

The Primus IQ, by the same manufacturer, has the exact same braking technology for a fraction of the cost. What it doesn't have is a fancy display, and provisions for presets for up to 4 trailers, none of which I needed. Goes for about $80 on Amazon.

I actually bought the Draw-Tite 20191 which is the Primus IQ with different stickers on it, and at the time sold for $15-20 lower than the actual Primus, but that doesn't appear to be the case right now.

Last edited:

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
On topic.... About 3 weeks ago, I used my truck with the P3. I got an "Internal Error-No Brakes" message if I used the manual lever. I immediately lost brakes. They would come back on and work at the pedal, but would go out if I used the lever again. A quick internet search yielded this:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-281749.html

I emailed Tekonsha about the problem and have not received a reply. I need to follow up on it.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
The best bang for your buck for someone with only one trailer is definitely the Primus IQ

eoleson1

Super Active Member
Jul 5, 2011
Macomb County Michigan
Another vote for the Primus IQ. I've been very happy with mine.

The price you were quoted sounds a little steep to me depending on what it includes. You can buy electric brake hubs for around $200-250. A breakaway switch would be about $75. A Primus IQ controller would be a little over $100. That leaves around $700 in labor. If the quoted price includes all three items, and wiring, 7 hours at $100 an hour would not be outrageous.

What does the $1100 include?

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I have a Prodigy P3 in one of my trucks and like it.
I also have the Prodigy P3 in my 2010 Ford Ranger. I got it from Etrailer. I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years now and have not found any fault with it so far. As for the quoted installation price. Everything in the Bay area is more expensive. I think I paid somewhere around $250.00 for mine which include the extra purchase of about 15 feet of Duplex wire line. But there are plenty of less expensive ones out there. Many are under $100.00. I did the installation myself in about 3 or 4 hours. The hardest part was just getting my big belly under the truck to run the wire.

This particular P3 controller was originally installed in my 2007 Ranger. Some kid stole the truck in February and totaled it in a multiple roll-over accident. One of the few items I was able to salvage from the wreck was the brake controller. I had to replace the entire wiring harness, but the controller itself was undamaged and is working fine.

Last edited:

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Our van has a tow package so installation involved buying a $15 cable and plugging it in. We had brakes added to the camper when I had to replace our torsion axle. The total cost of that axle replacement was about $900. That did not include actually wiring the brakes, which I told him I would do myself but was very easy... just a matter of running the blue wire to each wheel and splicing it into the blue wire at the tongue which was originally connected to nothing.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
Swapping surge brakes to electric is a bigger job than adding brakes to an unbraked trailer, it requires additional work on the tongue and may require some welding. Find out what is actually included in the price and/or get a second estimate.

You don't need an RV dealer for this job, any trailer repair facility can do it.

It's possible that servicing and adjusting your 11 year old brakes will give you the improvement you want at a lower cost.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
I have surge brakes on my Jayco 1206, I’m not a fan of them. The trailer fees super heavy on my brakes.

I am planning to get them changed for electric brakes and I’m looking for controller recommendations.

I’m being Quoted around $1,100 to get the brakes changed out. Sound fair, for the Bay Area?
Does anyone use a Curt Echo brake controler?

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
UHaul also does brake controller installation. My friends took their PopUp’s and hybrid TT there for install. They purchased their controllers from there too.

DH orders ours from ETrailer and did the install. He’s AWESOME.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

McSkippy

Sep 10, 2019
Colorado
I chose the Hopkins InSIGHT controller, because I don't have a good place to install a one-piece unit. But I think your best advice so far is in post #11. Getting your current brakes working right is going to be a lot easier (or cheaper, if you're paying someone to do it) than replacing them AND adding a controller to your TV.

jeepster04

Nov 23, 2010
The Prodigy P3 is the undisputed leader in all of the threads that talk about the best brake controllers. But that's not what I bought. Why?

The Primus IQ, by the same manufacturer, has the exact same braking technology for a fraction of the cost. What it doesn't have is a fancy display, and provisions for presets for up to 4 trailers, none of which I needed. Goes for about $80 on Amazon.

I actually bought the Draw-Tite 20191 which is the Primus IQ with different stickers on it, and at the time sold for $15-20 lower than the actual Primus, but that doesn't appear to be the case right now.
I bought the same draw tite model, works great!

anothersmith

Aug 24, 2018
Swapping surge brakes to electric is a bigger job than adding brakes to an unbraked trailer, it requires additional work on the tongue and may require some welding. Find out what is actually included in the price and/or get a second estimate.

You don't need an RV dealer for this job, any trailer repair facility can do it.

It's possible that servicing and adjusting your 11 year old brakes will give you the improvement you want at a lower cost.

Thanks for this. I got the brakes serviced recently, but honestly did not see a huge difference. I find that i am always leading the trailer on braking, especially on larger hills when we on open roads.
I am also towing with a mini van, in the upper regions of my GCVWR, so would like the trailer to be a bit more supportive on braking.

Primus IQ seems to get the nod from most folks, likely will go that way