brake controller

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by penny, Dec 31, 2019.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We had a brake controller on our toyota 4runner, which I took out when we traded it in on our new (04) F150. this is no doubt a dumb question, but the truck has a factory tow package with a 7 pin plug installed. It also has a plug well hidden under the dash to accept a brake controller. One guy told us that the tow package will connect the trailer brakes, but we need a controller to adjust the amount of braking applied to the trailer. Some one else said with out the brake controller there is no connection between truck brakes and trailer brakes. We are towing without the controller on this trip because I need to find a wiring harness that connects the BC we have to the plug under the dash. I can't tell if the trailer brakes are stopping because the trailer is so light and the truck has good brakes. We aren't attempting any steep grades this trip, but I'd really like to know if we have trailer brakes without a controller.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

The 04 doesn't have an integrated controller. The tow package only has the 7-pin connector to the plug under the dash. You just won't have any brakes. The rest should work though. When I bought my '11 used, the brake controller pigtail was still in the compartment with the jack.
    Check yours. You may have some luck and it's still there.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

eTrailer probably has the harness to connect your brake controller to the stock plug in the truck.

4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

How to tell if trailer brakes are working any at all. Stop on a hill, put TV in neutral, Let off TV brakes just to make sure it will roll backward. Reach down to brake controller. There is a lever or slide on the bottom. This applies the trailer brakes without applying TV brakes. Slide the lever to full on. Let off TV brakes. The TV shouldnt roll backwards.

If you hit a pothole and the trailer sways wildly using the slide a little will calm the trailer down.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Reach down to brake controller. There is a lever or slide on the bottom. This applies the trailer brakes without applying TV brakes. Slide the lever to full on. Let off TV brakes. The TV shouldnt roll backwards.
    The OP said that they don't have a brake controller and without a controller...no brakes to test

Tom Jordan likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Unless you have a brake controller ............ you got nothing.

Tom Jordan likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

You got all your lights and a charging line. The only thing you don't have is brakes.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup , no controller no breakes. Some have the controller buildt i to the dash. Most just have a set of wirew ready to be hooked up. Mine didnt have a plug at the end and i needed to wire it individually. Some have a plug and play adapter built in.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

From e trailer.

10. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Thank you, that is what I needed to know. I wanted to get a wiring harness that has the reese pilot plug on one side and the ford plug on the other. all I can find is the kind you wire. I see all kinds of harnesses for other brands of brake controllers, but not the reese to ford. ah well, we can wire it easily enough, if e-trailer doesn't have the one I want. amazon has the ford plug that you wire to your controller, and I suppose that will do. Thanks everyone!

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I just ordered my 7-pin to Jeep Liberty (and Dodge) factory cable (harness) rear connector. Maybe you can have the same good luck. Maybe the mating socket on the harness end is now universal? Its a "Endurance Hopkins 40920 7 Blade and 4 Flat Twist Mount Multi-Tow Connector " on Amazon.

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

It says it fits my 2011 Exp. So it seems like a pretty standard Ford connector.

14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

double post, sorry

15. penny

penny Well-Known Member

thanks, I actually did order that one. should be here tomorrow, then we got brakes!

FARfetched likes this.
  16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had an unmarked envelope in my glove box that had the brake controller harness in it... It also had a fuse and plug-in relay. Had no idea what that was for until I read online to look for it haha...

My new Ford truck in 2010 came with the Trailer Brakes installed. SO it was already to go after hooking up to the trailer. Since the 2010 truck was being used this was tied into the truck electronics and has a feature I really didn't like being the brake pedal does not work for the trailer connection if you are going below 10MPH. I noticed this right away and went to Ford about it... Thought I had a problem with built-in controller. Ford told me to use the manual slide control to hold the brakes 'ON' when parked on a incline or going slower than 10MPH. I liked the brake pedal control at stop signs on a slight incline my older controller provided... My new truck setup also has to have the IGNITION KEY 'ON' for the brake controller to work... Another new feature I had to get used to haha...

As noted above ETRAILER com is the place to go to find everything for brake control on the Trailer...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  17. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Just a little trick for a POSSIBLE problem that stumped E trailer. Our TV was purchased new with the factory tow package and came with the pig tail that attaches to the P-3. Took no time at all to install. After installation it wouldn't work. No power. Etrailer was stumped. Here is what the problem was. In order to save 5 cents the TV manufacturer did not put a fuse in an upstream fuse box.

18. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I have a P3 and love it.. Its smarter than I am.....