Brake controller

Cargs

Jul 15, 2020
I am planning to take our relatively new pop up on its 2nd journey next weekend. There are 2 ways to get to the campground: over a mountain pass (3.5 hr total drive) or around the pass (4.5 hr drive).

My question is about the electric brakes on the trailer. My "newbie" understanding is that the 7 pin plug-in also controls the brake system. So, do I need a brake controller to safely make the drive over the mountain, or will my system be ok if I take it easy on the downhill side? Do the trailer brakes still work without the controller?

Toxictom

Aug 18, 2016
The owner's manual for your tow vehicles should have a section about trailering.
If you determine you need a brake controller send me a PM as I have one I laying around collecting dust that you can have for free.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Does either of your tow vehicles (TV) have an integrated brake controller? If not, you need one for the brakes to work. If so, it's already built in.

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
Your '03 Tahoe doesn't have an integrated brake controller (at least mine didn't). Without a brake controller, your trailer brakes will not function, even with the 7 pin connector.
I actually have a controller you can have with the Tahoe-specific wiring connector for under your dash. I'm not using it since I replaced my TV. Or you can buy one relatively inexpensively online, and get it delivered faster via Amazon.

Erik

Cargs

Jul 15, 2020
Got it, thanks for the information and the kind offers.
Ezakoske - I will take you up on that offer if you don't mind! PM coming your way shortly.