brake issues..scratching my head..

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Bruze11, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bruze11

Bruze11 New Member

Hello! So we took our first weekend trip of the summer this past weekend. While the campground was nice and the kids loved it, Markham Meadows in CT, our trip there and home was quite eventful. Starting with hitch issues that took over an hour to fix and then 2 miles down the road a flat tire (we have 2 spares but apparently a jack that does not fit..so after another 2 hours, we were on our way and all was well on Friday). [:!] It was on our way home, about 15 feet from pulling out of our camping spot when my right tire on the pop up locked up. drove 10 feet and it locked up again. I stopped, rechecked the connections and all looked good. I should say I do not have a brake controller even though the pop up has brakes. I drove out of the campground and it seemed every time I applied the TV brake the right pop up would lock up for a split second. I drove down the long driveway stopping and going and it finally seemed to work itself out. I was on the road, and finally needed to take a right turn. when I put my right blinker on, my right pop up brake would lock up then release every time the blinker would blink. after I took my right turn, U went to pull over and when I turned on my hazards it did the same thing!! I pulled over and unplugged all the electrical and and then replugged it in. this seemed to work for the rest of the way home. when I pulled in front of our house, it started again with the right pop up tire locking up. any ideas? any others have this issue before? any help or advice would be appreciated! thanks!

2. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

I would check the trailer cable. It's sounds like it has been pinched and shorted. Every time you put a signal (voltage) on a wire it is going on all wires including the brake wire in the bundle. Just a guess :)

3. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

on the trailer side connector, some loose strands of wire may be crossing from the TS to the brake line, OR there may be a bad ground across the R/H T/S wires within the chassis. R/H T/S to R/H brake is the shortest path for electricity, and it may get used up before passing the the left brake.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It could be as simple as the red and blue wires are touching at the PUP connector, they are next to each other. The red wire is the right turn and the blue is brakes. But it is a wiring problem ..... somewhere. But just to cover all the bases, a loose/bad wheel bearing or brake shoe problem should not be ruled out. But I would look at the backside of the PUP plug first.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Best way to fix this would be to install a brake controller and get things wired properly... If the manufacture decided the pup was heavy enough to have brakes, then they should be used...

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

X2!

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

7. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Anything else going on? (change in fridge temp, dimmer lights, ect)

If you have any other electrical issues, I would bet $5 on grounding issues.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

My bet is on a bare wire between your right turn signal wire and the brake wire going to the right wheel.

Now the fun begins.

9. Bruze11

Bruze11 New Member

Thank you all for the information and help! I will be getting a brake controller, I just have to make sure my tranny in the TV is ok, something seems to be going on in there. If its ok, i will be doing that next, otherwise the camper will have to wait for abit. then its on to the rewiring.. I am no means an electrician or have any wiring capabilities, so I might just bring it to a place to have them do it. I would rather have it done correctly as I have no idea where to start since the wiring goes into the metal frame after the plug.

Thanks again!