Brakes not working

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Golden Girl 64, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Golden Girl 64

Golden Girl 64 New Member

Hello. Took my new-to-me 08 Aliner Classic for MD inspection. They said the brakes are brand new and have never been engaged. They said there is power/ground to both brakes and both magnet wiring tested fine. What the heck could it be?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Do you have a break controller in your tv?

3. Golden Girl 64

Yes, Echo Wireless. I only drove it once, to the inspection station. The app connected and appeared to be working. I didn't test it b/c I honestly didn't know how to and planned to ask them to do it. I would think if there was an issue w/the brakes I would have rec'd an error of some type.

4. Sjm9911

Never had a wireless break controller. But its wireless. You could test the breaks by pulling the emergency break cable. You should here them enguage. I would suspect the controller isnt hooked up properly. But who knows.

5. Golden Girl 64

Thanks, I appreciate that info. I definitely need to find out exactly what the inspector has done in terms of troubleshooting. I assume all the standard things but who knows. Thanks again!

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Worst case take it to a trailer repair shop (not an RV dealer), the type that works on all types of trailers (think lawn cutting guys trailers).

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you do the manual on your controller, you should be able to hear the magnets whine on the brakes. I bet they are not since they aren't engaging. I'd backtrack continuity through the wiring harness all the way up to the plug. There's got to be an open circuit somewhere. If you give the magnets voltage, they are going to engage the brakes (when the wheel is in forward motion of course).

8. Sjm9911

9. Michael Guldan

Michael Guldan New Member

Just curious, where in MD are you located, and what inspection station did you use ?

10. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

@Golden Girl 64 Do you have the manual override button they sell for the echo? I would seriously consider it just from a safety standpoint.

On a different note, did the inspection shop fail your trailer? If so then you have to figure it out fast. Otherwise, you have a little time. What do you tow with?

11. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

It would be beneficial for you to put the year and model of Aliner in your signature. Is this a Expedition variant of a Classic? I know nothing about wireless brake controllers. If this was a hardwired pigtail Spray electrical cleaner on the Bargeman and into the plug. Also the contacts for the panic switch on the tongue. Just follow the panic wire to the switch. Did anyone test , with a multimeter, at the magnets for voltage?

Out of curiosity, what is your frame size? 3 or 4"? Check the bumper/frame joint for broken welds. That was a factory defect back then. Is the spare on the rear bumper?