Brakes on an 86 Jayco?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by AlexVanEks, Aug 22, 2019.

1. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

So I was out eyeballing the pet project today and found a grey cap in the front of the trailer, just behind the hitch release lever (is there a name? Idk I'm a newbie and an idiot ). On the trailer embossed into the metal said "use dot3 brake fluid" and underneath appears to be a master cylinder or reservoir of some variety. There is a metal line running along the passenger side of the interior of the trailer and disappeared out of sight.

Does anyone happen to know if Jaycos had some form of brake (parking or otherwise) on the old 1986 models? If so, service info would be much appreciated ^^ I do my own brakes on my vehicles, as I'm a bit of a shade tree mechanic.

1986 Jayco Jayking 8 (12 foot model)

*** will get photos when the weather clears ***

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You have surge brakes. Should look close to the drum brakes that used to be on cars.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Okay, thanks! I have worked on drum brakes once, on an old 91 Honda Civic. I will have to do a check on them and service as necessary :)

I didn't know those were a thing on 'regular' campers! I thought only the ultra high end campers got them lol

4. WrkrBee

Some camper manufactures offered them as an option.

5. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Well with such scant info about this camper and the Jay King line in general, I am thinking there weren't too many of these. With all the 'luxury' offered in this old girl, I'm wondering just how many there were actually built. She's number 112 by VIN.
    The closest I've ever found for photos is an 86 Jay Dove, but the cabinets are different and laid out more efficiently in mine. The outside looked identical though - same decals and all!

Lousy photos

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Jayco put surge brakes on a lot of their heavier pups. Atwood units I think. I have one on mine, and hate it. If yours is original most of the innards are probably rotted out. There is a brake piston in the front that actuates when you slow down, and also when you reverse. The rubber associated with the system goes bad over time. Mine needs a complete rebuild, but the brake unit is welded to the tongue. I think they are better for boat trailers but not campers. When it was working it was a pain backing up. You could lock it open, but that only lasted until you pulled forward again. If you need to do a rebuild it is likely about the same price to put a regular hitch on, convert the hubs to electric brakes, and be on your way. I hope to do that to mine eventually, but I will have to pay someone to cut mine off and weld a new one on. Most others seem to be bolted on like the picture.

AlexVanEks likes this.
  7. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Yep you have hydro brakes and I can tell from the pic that they aren’t working. You should have a brake line coming out the back of the master cylinder but it’s missing.

The good news is you can swap them
    To electric very easily. I did it to mine and no need to swap out the tongue. I found a welder and for $20 he welded the hitch solid with a few spot welds around the pin.

You can get the electric breaks from eTrailer.

8. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

I take back what I said about the mine running out the back. I wasn’t looking at the right area.

9. WrkrBee

Curious what the push down tab does and what the nut behind it does. Assuming tab is a by-pass for backing the camper.

10. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

It’s part of the break-a-way system that activates the breaks of the trailer comes free.

11. WrkrBee

Is there a cable missing?

12. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Yes there appears to be. Here is what mine looked like before I had it welded.

The silver bolt is what I had welded in place.

Attached Files:

13. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Thanks! My dad happens to be a welder so I should be able to convert in due time. I will admit, it's rather low on the priority list right now but I will get there.
    The more I learn about popups, the more I realize I have found my own personal hell because I go "I should replace/repair/inspect..." and I watch my money fly away before I've even earned it!
    I did not know owning a camper was THIS expensive!

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Owning some campers are expensive

kennedyma likes this.
  15. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

Well I figure everything I fix is something I will likely not have to fix again. She's a project

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Campers are like boats and motorcycles. There is always something that either needs fixed or you want to mod.

AlexVanEks likes this.