Brakes??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Franchesca, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Franchesca

Franchesca Member

Today I regreased the bearings and yes it has breaks I saw them. I’ll have my grandson look at it.

Sjm9911, kcsa75 and xxxapache like this.
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

So, it has breaks in the brakes or the bearings?

3. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

What you CAN say is , it does not have operational brakes. Francesca's trailer came from the factory with brakes on the axles. Someone may have clipped the 7-wire round, or 6-wire rectangular connector so they could connect their 4-pin TV. She should have brakes, they just won't work with a 4-pin - unless of course someone diverted a light line to a brake line - but WHY?

4. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

They are not functional with your 4-pin connector. You need to have a proper 7-pin on your TV and on your trailer, and easy job really.

5. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

There is a lot of talk going on here. To some it may be confusing. There are a lot of variables to think about.
    Franchesca, considering that you are fairly new at popups and related terminology (as we all once were), I would suggest that you take the camper to a shop that deals with such things. A Recreational Vehicle Dealer (RV) would bet a good place to go. I think most larger U-Haul dealers can install wiring and brake controllers as well. They probably sell the items you would need, but sometimes at a higher price. eTrailer.com is a great place to purchase anything related to trailers and campers. Their "How To" videos are great. I had to install brakes on my camper and install all of the wiring and a controller in my tow vehicle (TV) when I purchased both.