Branch Brook CG, Campton

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by Ductape, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

We stayed at Branch Brook in mid July.

Branch Brook is on 155 acres, right on the Pemigewasset River. It features a swimming pool, playground, ball field, camp store , and of course, the river.

I would estimate approximately 25% of the sites are seasonal. The rest are a mix ranging from full hookups, to remote campsites with no hook-ups at all.

The good:

The pool was nice, with a gradual slope into the shallow end suitable for young children

The camp store was well stocked with items you may have forgotten to pack. Prices were reasonable.

Being on the river was great. You can tube / raft, canoe or kayak right out of the north end of the campground, one mile down to the south end. Depending on the river while you are there, this may take up to a couple hours. The CG also offers a shuttle service further up the river for a fee, either 6 or 10 miles.

Canoe and kayak rentals are available

Bathrooms were relatively new (few years old), and relatively clean (most of the time). . Showers were free with your stay, and also reasonably clean and modern. I should note that we only used the bathrooms / showers at the north end of the CG, and did not have a reason to use the ones at the south end.

There is trash pick up at your site once or twice per day. You will not want to leave food or trash out at your campsite overnight, as there are black bears in the area.

The playground was great, with commercial style swings, slides, and other activities you might find at a large playground. The playground also looked fairly new. There were also cornhole games and horse shoes near the playground.

There is a small laundry room on site to wash / dry laundry.

Some activities for children on weekends in the rec hall

There is a free tractor / hay wagon ride weekend evenings ( I don't personally recommend you do this though)

The bad:

The road in and out is very rough (dirt).

They do not appear to enforce any rules regarding site occupancy. Many sites were very crowded, with several tents per site. This made many sites around us very loud, and loud late into the night.

They appear to lock many of the showers and bathrooms, so that they do not have to clean them all. This, along with the over crowding, leads to long lines to use the bathrooms and showers, especially on the weekends.

Quiet hours are not enforced. One group nearby were up (drinking) around their fire until 2 am.

In summary, I would describe Branch Brook CG as a party campground. If you are looking for a quiet place to bring your kids (or yourself), this campground is not for you. At least not from Thursday to Sunday. Both weekends we were surrounded by very large, loud, groups of people. The second Saturday morning, two of the bathrooms were unusable because people had thrown up all over the bathrooms. Most of the showers had inoperable lights, which made the showers unusable. Unfortunately, the party crowd atmosphere attracts a clientele that is very inconsiderate. People would do things like knock down the shower curtains and just leave them on the floor, etc. There definitely is not enough staff and facilities to accommodate the amount of people there on the weekends. In fairness, it was quiet in the campground from Monday to Thursday.

We have not yet decided if we would ever return and give the CG a second chance.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Thanks for the write up on this. It was a campground we were considering for a trip possibly over Labor Day weekend as we have family nearby. I'm thinking we'll keep looking.

3. Garywt

Garywt New Member

Thanks for the review. Drove through once and although the pool looked great it seemed like a junk yard to us with various sites in areas that were not defined. Sounds like we will stay away.

4. NHAl

NHAl New Member

This is under new owner ship. They are really upgrading and cleaning up. The campground was hit hard by hurricane Irene and again by flooding last month. Last year they built a brand new bath house by the store. Stayed here twice and going back in August. We stay as a group on the field site no services. No complaints except no bathroom near the field sites.

5. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I am heading up here for Columbus weekend. 30 for a full hookups is great. They even option to leave the camper if I book 2 weekends free. Might do that .
    I will update on how they are.

They 160 miles from my house .And hoping the color is good.i rode on my motorcycle last weekend and it's just starting in the white mountains.

6. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We are back. Spent 5 nights . We had some serious rain periods.
    We were over Columbus weekend and before the weekend started we had the place to over self .
    Very dark and really felt a world away.

Due to the lack of crowd I could not judge the place under full of crowd.

The bathroom and showers were clean and hot water was free. Great place for group camping. Alot of bicycle paths, the river is really nice as it winds around .

I walked close to 2 hrs to cover the length with my dog. BTW my dog loved playing fetch in the river.

Last night a big black bear was walking the river bed .

There is an old house in the middle that is over grown. Other than that one building the place was in good condition.

Will we return . Yes .section 12 even had cable so was able to watch pats, redsox and bruins game. The wifi was strong as per kids.

We spent a day in Lincoln , went to the big fair in sandwich NH , ziplined at loon and did a few hikes. Again just walking the campground was alot of hiking with all the water and no people. The ball fields are the biggest I have seen.