Brand new PUP owner, needs some direction!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by YHSublime, Sep 14, 2020 at 1:50 PM.

1. YHSublime

YHSublime New Member

Oh my. But maybe I’ll have the sweet reward of doing it myself? The only thing that’s really as bad as it looks is the roof. But could be worse as I get into it I suppose.

Do you think I could get something better for the price of what I would put into this? I love that I can haul it with my Outback, and mostly this will hang out in my driveway.

thanks for the tips and help. I agree about the roof rebuild. While it seems daunting, I don’t think there is that much to it. I’m fairly handy and competent, and possibly optimistic based on Snows feedback above

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    IDezine likes this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Well quickly add up the costs you know you have.
    $500 into the pup (assuming you paid that)
    $1000 ballpark price for all new canvas.
    $500 minimum for materials for the roof.
    $400 labour for the roof ( this is a guess of 40 hours, paying yourself $10 per hour) unless your time is worth nothing... most people don't value their time by saying, it's my free time, and I'm saving money.. but your time is worth something even $10 per hour, even $5 per hour..

So yeah for $2400 you could most definitely find something in better shape.. may take some more time looking ..

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

This looks like an all summer project, no camping involved..

4. YHSublime

YHSublime New Member

You're numbers are absolutely correct, except for labor. I would pay myself a bare minimum of $15 for my time, so let's say $600! I suppose at the end of the day, if I did invest the time and money, I'd have what was close to brand new. I've seen trailers that run more expensive and are harder to title than the $500 I put into this already, so I figured at the least there's that.

I appreciate your being candid, it's good to have a reality check every now and then.

Yeah, summers pretty much over, maybe an all winter project!Now I'm wondering if I should turn around and put this back on the market!

AMC likes this.
  5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I agree with Snow. I would not put the time and money into this project.

6. YHSublime

YHSublime New Member

Well, I guess it doesn't take much convincing.

I've put it back up FS for exactly what I bought it for. I don't need a trailer as a worst case scenario.

AMC likes this.
  7. Negativez0

Negativez0 New Member

I think you made the right call. There's a TON of work to be done there. Either sell it as is or strip it to the frame and make a utility trailer.

YHSublime likes this.
  8. YHSublime

YHSublime New Member

I popped it down for fear of rain, and because I was slightly overwhelmed. But I put it back up FS this afternoon. Over 100 inquiries in like 8 hours. First person to come look at it took it. They had the luxury of checking the whole thing out, I was regretting my decision to sell it after I cleaned it up a bit.

Anyways, I'm on the lookout for a decent priced pop up in my area now, any advice on best places to start and nice roomy, but lightweight PUPs?

AMC and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

When they come here for help fixing it, you can link to this thread. [:D]

momofEAP, AMC and YHSublime like this.
  10. JohnTCanvasRepair

JohnTCanvasRepair New Member

Congrats on your new (to you) camper!

On the canvas ... I won’t write pages and pages of tips... just a couple things....

If age and mustiness goes beyond a simple airing out... what I have done to breathe some freshness into old canvas is I removed the canvas from the camper and took it to a public laundry... stuffed each piece one at a time into the biggest front load machine they had and washed the whole thing. Treat it like fabric... detergent is ok and a little bleach is fine too.

Another canvas I repaired had mouse chew holes ... and as others already know and will tell you... once mice get in they like to pee on everything(and worse)... those sections of canvas went into a large clean (new) trash can to hand wash and soak overnight.... filled with detergent and odor eliminator (if you believe such a thing actually exists, lol). Then... on to the laundry.

Tumble dry on low setting... canvas is typically man made material and can scorch/melt... finish up by spreading the damp canvas in the driveway on a sunny day.

There are decent products available to spray on for water repellency ... read labels and reviews.

I’ll leave a link to my website that shows pictures of finished canvas repairs... just showing what’s possible as DIY. Good luck with your camper and I wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

John T
    Www.Freewebs.Com/canvasrepair

11. Brunhilde

Brunhilde New Member

YHSublime likes this.
  12. unplannedbbq

unplannedbbq New Member

About those nasty curtains - we used ours as templates to make new curtains before we threw the old curtains in the trash.

13. Jen Parsons

Jen Parsons New Member

I just bought a 1991 Coleman columbia a few weeks ago. The crank was very resistant at the top. Cranking it up 1/2 way was easy and then the final half was hard and squeaky! We greased it and it's much better now.

14. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

Hey man good luck with the project. Keep those pictures. I going on 3 years on my project.

15. ChiefHart

ChiefHart New Member

Attached Files:

16. ChiefHart

ChiefHart New Member

I have downloaded a 1995 Chesapeake Owners manual and that will answer a lot of your questions. I have a 1993 Chesapeake and have done many repairs and renovations on it and now looks like new. I have added a 13,700 BTU Heat Pump, replaced the electrical distribution panel with a better one, all lights outside and inside are LED. My tires went from 1993 to 2009, it was time to replace them. You should replace yours, best deal is from etrailer.com, you can get new tires mounted on new wheels, and you will not have to get someone to mount your new tires on the old wheels.
    I suggest that you download the attache O&M manual for the 1995 Coleman Trailer as it will show you how to set up and other stuff. Just be patient and work on improvements as time permits. With the price of popup trailers now, you can afford to put some $$ into your investment. My 1993 Chesapeake cost me $5300 brand new.

Attached Files:

17. YHSublime

YHSublime New Member

LoL

John, this is fantastic information! I probably would have done this if I still had it. I imagine one my next one (and there will be a next one) that I'll still need some of this information, so thank you!

I bailed on the project. I would like something that I can fix up sooner and is usable now!

Good advice! I've since sold this project camper and have started looking for new ones!

18. ChiefHart

ChiefHart New Member

Be sure to spray that bolt with copious amounts of P-B Blaster before trying to break it loose. Soak it over 3 or four days adding P-B Blaster each day. Take a drift pint and put it on the bolt head and tap it with your hammer each day when adding the P-B Blaster. The tapping sets up vibrations that help the solvent to go into the threads. The Colmanpopupparts web site has replacement parts for your trailer.

19. AMC

AMC Member

Not sure where you are located but there are a couple on Marketplace near Jesup, Georgia, Savannah, GA.

20. IDezine

IDezine New Member

I know you got rid of it and I do hope you can find another. There is such a market for them right now.. in any condition. We had a pretty big project in our 2001 Jayco Heritage Potomac we got last year for $500. We didn't need a new roof. Canvas was destroyed but I found a great deal on a brand new one for $650 (jayco dealer in PA, I searched far and wide for the best deal - after reading from other jayco owners - and this was less than 1/2 the cost of all others). Peel and stick on the floors, my husband built a new cabinet for the sink area. Formica on the tops. Made new curtains with mostly remnants. It's a 24/12 k/k, toilet, outdoor shower.... and we've taken it out about every other month in the camping season. We love it. 2 more trips to go this month. It's the same as a house, if it has good bones... it's worth it. I love that we did it ourselves and made it our own. We look forward to every trip in it. :) Best of luck getting another in better shape!