Brewing beer for weekend trips

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by silvermickey2002, Apr 10, 2019.

How many of you brew your own beer?

1. I buy it and don't brew it

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. I brew my own beer but also buy some of my favorites

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I brew it in anticipation for a particular trip with friends

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

How many of you brew your own beer? And, how many of you will brew a small batch just for a particular camping trip with friends? Just curious.

A buddy and I are brewing a Bourbon Barrel Porter just for our Father's Day weekend trip. This is our 3rd batch we have brewed.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. erich82

erich82 Active Member

In my experience, home brewed beer is nasty (as is wine). Never have I had one that I enjoyed. Then again, I prefer good tasting, quality beers, so maybe I am too picky.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would love to brew and drink more beer, but alas, as i get older i drink more wine. Less bathroom breakes, and save on empting the cassett toilet . Additionally , its easy to bring along.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

My homebrew surpasses anything I can buy.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee, I'd love to be camping near you guys who like to brew! Nonetheless, commercial brewing has came a long ways in the past 20 years. Even in our little area, we even have 3 micro brewer's. Go figure.[Guitar]

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. silvermickey2002

This is the 3rd small batch we are making. We've made American Red Ale (6% ABV) and Imperial Stout (8% ABV) and those two batches were really good. This batch that we are making now (Bourbon Barrel Porter 5% ABV) we can't wait to try. The next batch is going to be an Irish Dry Stout, very similar to Guinness.

Here in NJ there are micro brewers in just about every town. They are all different. The one here in town I personally don't like as they brew mostly those fruity flavored beers! [:(O]

When I first met my wife we drank wine, but now mostly beer and moonshine (Ole Smokey). My buddy and I have been wanting to make our own for a few years so we finally decided to start. We like making the small batches (1 gallon) so we can try different recipes. If we find a recipe we really like then we will make a large batch (5 gallons). A small batch makes about 8-10 12 oz bottles and a large batch makes about 48 12 oz bottles.

Arlyn Aronson, if we ever come up to Michigan again we will let you know and bring a few extra bottles to try out!!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

There's no answer choice for me : ( Don't kill me here, but... I just don't like beer. Tried a bunch of times now and then, but just not for me. Now if anyone is distilling rum, let me know...

8. silvermickey2002

No problem! We know a few people that just don't like beer. They are more into wine, hell my wife's side of the family are wine drinkers. We always keep wine in our house so when they visit we have what they like. I also do like Ole Smokey Moonshine (Apple Pie, Buckeye and a few other flavors).

9. arge

arge Member

Speaking about moonshine, usually you go in a trip, go into the bushes and you distl... hmm make your brew and drink it at home and not the other way around, go in a trip, hide jn the bushes and drink your home made brew...

indieiggy and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

How are you going about the "bourbon barrel" aspect, bourbon soaked wood chips? Pouring a touch of bourbon in the finished beer to mimic the flavor of a barrel aged beer? If this beer doesn't turn out to your liking I would suggest trying again with an imperial porter or stout recipe in the 8-10% range. They tend to hold up better to the bourbon flavors.

I don't brew beer but enjoy most styles and have many friends who homebrew. Good luck!

11. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

You need to hang out with better homebrewers. [:D]

I have a neighbor who has been brewing since the 90's, has brewed over 600 batches, won several competitions at the state level and has 12 of his beers on tap in his basement. His beer consistently turns out great because he understands the process and has the right equipment. Most novice homebrewers probably got a small batch kit as a gift with prepackaged ingredients for basic recipes.

Nothing wrong with being picky, most craft brewers started out as homebrewers who perfected their hobby. Life's short, drink the good stuff!

William Freeman and indieiggy like this.
  12. silvermickey2002

To answer Luckthepup, the recipe kit came with small oak cubes. We soak them in Bourbon (we are using Jim Beam) for 24 hours and toss them in the carboy a week before we bottle. Only reason we are using Jim Beam is my buddy has an open bottle of the stuff. I didn't feel like cracking open a bottle of Buffalo Trace!!!

13. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Those are probably the exception lol.
    When you're at that point, you are either selling it, or brewing at a greater cost than it would be too buy a quality beer. But then it's a hobby/passion so the cost becomes
    a moot point.

Most homebrewers are going off kits, and those are just nasty. Quality brew takes a good investment in time, money and space, and most don't have it.

14. silvermickey2002

Since we are just newbies at brewing we use kits. But so far they are pretty good. Like erich82 said for most it's a hobby and that's what we do. This latest small batch of Bourbon Barrel Porter was $17.99 for the kit. If I get 10 bottles out of it that's about $1.80 a bottle. Not sure where you are located, but here in Northern NJ a 6-pack of local brewed beer can cost anywhere from $8-12. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Yeungling Black & Tan and Guinness draft bottles.

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Man, I wish I could drink beer again. I miss it. As most teenagers are (were), I was a beer drinker. Drank and enjoyed lots of beer through my 20's, 30's, and into my 40's. Always swapped back and forth through a few popular brands back in those days - Blue, Canadian, Coors Banquet, Black Label, Corona. Drank them for a few years each and then swapped back to one of the other ones for a few years again. But the older you get, sometimes things change. Now my guts totally refuse any beer at all. I'll have one bottle of any kind, and I get so sick, it wipes me out for a day. I thought maybe it was hops, so on the advice of a friend, I tried Bud light because its supposed to be rice beer. No difference. I usually try about a half a beer a year to see if I can drink it again, but so far, no dice. I slowly sipped some last Thanksgiving, but still got plenty sick. I've had to move onto rye and coke again, but it just doesn't cut it after a hard hot day working in the sun, trying to quench the thirst. Hopefully my time will come again. Have fun brewing guys, enjoy!

16. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Try some gluten free beer. Most stores that carry any craft beer should have them.

17. Wrenchgear

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of something like that. I'll have to see what I can come up with. Do you know of any big brands that might have something like that? Or do you think I have to find a smaller brewery playing with that kind of stuff?

18. silvermickey2002

19. Wrenchgear

Alright guys. I just googled it and am surprised at how many gluten free ones there are. I don't recognize any of the names at all, so I guess it would be hit or miss. First, does my local beer store carry any of them, second, will I be able to tolerate it, and third, find one with a good taste. The challenge begins!

20. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Probably the most well known gluten free beer that I'm aware of is called Omission Pale Ale, but there are certainly many more out there. Also, look for beers by a brewery called Glutenberg. They're out of Montreal and make all of their beers gluten free.