Brewing beer for weekend trips

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by silvermickey2002, Apr 10, 2019.

How many of you brew your own beer?

1. I buy it and don't brew it

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. I brew my own beer but also buy some of my favorites

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I brew it in anticipation for a particular trip with friends

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Thanks, I did see Omission and Glutenberg while I was looking.

2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

My wife and I have been making our own wine. We use fresh fruit. We have pears, apples, blackberries, and rhubarb on property. Fresh fruit is far and away better than kits. I actually prefer our wine to a lot of wine bought at the $10-15 price point.

I'd love to get into beer eventually but the wine is about all the time and space we can do for now. Ingredients for beer is the same way - get it fresh. Find a good local brew supply store and get fresh ingredients instead of the kits and you can come up with some good stuff. I do get craft beers when I go out mostly. In my experience those craft guys started out as home brewers and some of their best stuff you'll never have because it's tough to make it consistently to be mass produced. I'd put a good home brewer up against any widely distributed craft beer in a taste test and say the small batch almost always comes out on top of the distributed beer.

LucythePUP likes this.
  3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We started this whole thing using recipe kits. I think it's a good way to learn the process. I think eventually I will gather recipes and experiment. We have a good place the next town over that sells recipe kits as well as just ingredients. They also deal with wine making as well as recipes for hard cider.

Another guy I work with is just getting into wine making with his wife. They are just gathering equipment now.

We have traveled a lot and I like to try different beers. One place that we really liked we found by accident is Rumspringa Brewing Company (https://goo.gl/maps/iKKPXGPy3dC2). This place is in Ronks, PA

4. hammb

hammb Member

I used to take Homebrew on camping trips,but I haven't brewed a batch in a long time. I started brewing 15 or so years ago when it was hard to find good beer. With craft beer movement being what it is there is just so much good beer out there it's not worth brewing my own anymore.

I've drank a lot of Homebrew over the years, some good and some bad. Never truly loved the kit beers so I transitioned into all grain batches. Brewed some really good beers over the years, but honestly I've never had any Homebrew as good as my favorite craft beers.

I remember one camping trip where my buddy and I killed a fresh 5 gallon keg in 2 days. Ooops!

Enjoy the home brewing it can be a real fun hobby!

5. silvermickey2002

We are just getting into it, so far we enjoy it! I figure starting out using the recipe kits allows us to get the process down before doing all grain and get away from the "Kits".

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. hammb

hammb Member

Absolutely, that's what I did as well. If you want an easy transition to improve kit beers immensely, ditch the yeast that they come with and buy a style appropriate yeast from your brew shop. When I was brewing every kit had the same (cheapo) yeast.

Get your process down, especially sanitation and grow from there.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Weather its beer, food in general or camping with your friends-n-mutts. Life is to short to not be consuming the stuff with lots of flavor. Having something with real flavor with your friends, is a good thing.

Again, if any of you characters get up to the UP this summer, do let us know. [:D] And we'll try go with you.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    hammb likes this.
  8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

A few years back it wasnt uncommon for me to have several different batches going, and 4 kegs in the fridge...
    Biggest was a 10.5% Belgian Triple.

9. silvermickey2002

10.5%....the strongest one I brewed was an Imperial Stout at 8%.. That was a little too strong for me taste wise...

10. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Heyyyy! I brew beer! I've done batches for trips before, small batches as I have a 3 gallon keg that I fit into a cooler, mounted some taps on the front of it and used a paintball Co2 tank for dispensing. Worked great and was super fun, but MAN did the keg need some time to settle after we arrived lol

This was all before kids and before popups actually, but I do bring bombers of my homebrew when camping now, though I don't make anything special for camping.

Cool to see others on this forum brew! I've been brewing since 2011, all grain all the way brew-in-a-bag style. Took a hiatus for a few years when we had babies, did kits during that time, but back at it now that they're able to entertain themselves for a while.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Ok folks, you need to tell us when and where, your next camping trip will be.. [:D]

We spent the summer of 1995 in OR and while riding with a cycling club out there, one fellow always brought dark home brews with himself to share for the camping. Fondly recall that summer out there. [Guitar] May have been Dave who got us turned on to that dark stuff......

12. silvermickey2002

Hmmm, seems like a trip to the UP is in order!!! My DW and I were talking about taking a trip up there sometime. Shouldn't be to hard to twist our friends to come up with us! Will have to make a special batch for that trip!!

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

The Belgian was pale yellow and was so smooth that a Mic-Ultra drinking friend loved it....
    Of course the 3rd one had him sleeping by the campfire...

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  14. indieiggy

indieiggy Member

I homebrew batches of kombucha for camping trips [LOL] Made beer once from a kit and it turned out pretty well but was really time consuming. My neighbor has been making wine out of pears from our pear trees the past couple years and sharing it with us. It's delicious and packs a serious punch. [XX(]

15. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

I found a bourbon barrel craft beer at a local gas station (they have a well stocked beer cave with craft beer) that I really liked. Founders Barrel Runner was the name. I didn't realize the ABV until after 3 of them - 11.1%! On of our local breweries have a whole line of barrel aged beers that look interesting - guess I'll have to ride up there to try a flight!

I used to brew small batches. I have 2 Mr Beer kegs that I used to brew 2 - 1/2 recipe (5gal) beer kits at the time. I like to try pretty much any craft beer that piques my interest, so it was too hard to keep the homebrew going with different types of beer. I have my normal "every day" beers and usually keep 2-3 different crafts in the fridge for something different. I have a brother in law that lives in Pittsburgh. Every time we go for a visit, I end up bringing a couple of 6pks of different crafts home because they have some excellent breweries up that way!

16. Arlyn Aronson

Founds is a MI brewer located in Grand Rapids. Pretty BIG company for micro brewer or are they a craft? They do bottle some we can appreciate.

17. silvermickey2002

We were passing thru Grand Rapids in April of 2017 on our way up to our hotel for vacation. It was later in the day so we did not really have time to stop there. Heard they have a few micro brewers there!

@William Freeman, The small batch of Bourbon Barrel Porter we made is 5% ABV. Just put it in the fridge a few days ago. Hoping it's good! we'll see this weekend!!

William Freeman likes this.
  18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Making beer is too much work.

I'm pretty much a beer slob anyway. My brand of choice is Coors Banquet. I drank a lot of it growing up so it reminds me of my youth.

Additioally, my three sons turn their noses up to it. So gone sre the dsys of the boys stopping by and drinking all of dad's beer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  19. Arlyn Aronson

Again, if any of you brewers pass through the UP this summer, do get in touch and well try get out with you. Nothing more fun the sitting around the fire, telling tall tales and sharing a good brew. [Guitar]

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  20. chili1962

chili1962 New Member

Richmond, VA just has too many good micro breweries for me to take the plunge and attempt my own. Multiply the number of breweries x the number of beers each produces and there is more selection than I can get to.