Bringing medications.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by beemerboy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Like many people, I have a pile of medications that I take every morning.

I get my meds mail order for 90 days at a time. I was wondering how other people packed their medications. Do you take the whole bottles?, pack just enough for the trip?, pack extras?

Do you have a special place in the camper to keep them while camping or in your suitcase?

What do you do for a list of the meds you take in case of emergency? With the pile of pills I take it's hard to remember whats what.

2. freenaz

freenaz Member

We have a clear plastic show box we use as a 1st aid kit in the pup and I have another smaller 1st aid/survival kit in my backpack.
    I put my daily meds in a pill box as normal and keep it in my backpack. I would take the bottles for trips longer than a week.

3. AZbubs

AZbubs Member

I travel a lot for work, so I came up with a way to pack the daily supplements that I take. I have a Food Saver and I took the snack size sandwich bags and put them in sideways about 1/3 sticking out and then use the sealer. Pull out to about 2/3 and use the sealer. That way I have 3 different compartments in one baggie. And the best part is it will still seal when you press it. I always take a few extra days just in case.

Like one of the good ideas I saw here on the portal we have the plastic stacking drawers, small size and it is labelled on the front for meds. If you have emergency Rx, I would type up on the computer and take it to one of the office supply places and have it laminated. You may even want to include a listing of everything you take, just to be on the safe side. Then keep it in the same drawer.

4. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

First of all - keep a list of your medications, dosages, and directions for taking them in your wallet. Laminated is great, but can be costly if your meds change frequently.

I put my meds in a pill box. I take a lot for various reasons (makes me feel old). If they fit in the pill box, great. I have one I take which is 2 huge capsules twice a day. I just take that bottle along with me.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I kept a couple of the old pill bottles. For short trips (a week or less) I just take as many as I need for the trip all mixed together in the bottle. For longer trips I take all of the bottles and set them on the counter the same as I do in the bathroom at home.

6. wapwap

wapwap New Member

My sister has lots of meds she takes everyday, too. She uses a little tackle-box/thread-holder looking thing when she travels. One of those flat multi-compartment plastic boxes that are kinda clear. Some people use similar things for fishing tackle, I've also seen them used to hold embroidery floss for crafts. Each little section is labeled as Monday AM, Monday PM, Tuesday AM, Tuesday PM, etc. All the pills are divided up as needed and she's all set. She's also got a sheet she printed out from the computer that she taped to the top with packaging tape (so it's almost laminated on there). The sheet lists all the individual medications and dosages with a photo of each type of pill and any identifying characteristics. It also lists her medication schedule, pharmacy, doctor(s), and me as an emergency contact.

The box holds about 2 weeks worth off meds, so it works for long trips. And it's not too big, so it works for short ones too. Since her medications don't change much any more it works really well. All the pertinent information is there should something happen to her.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I keep a list of my medications, Rx and OTC, and supplements/vitamins on the computer. It also includes a list of my surgeries, and medication allergies; along with my doctors with phone numbers. It comes in handy as doctors visits in town, too, I just print a copy when needed and write "see attached". That way I don't need to remember every dosage, who prescribed what and print it all legibly in tiny spaces. It all fits on one sheet of paper (both sides) and I keep a copy in my purse or pack. [DH and I also have Medic Alert bracelets, though DH will only wear his when hiking and biking. I keep that up-to-date, but the written list is important too.]

I learned the hard way this year to take extra Rx meds, when I got stuck in Tucson for an extra week due to car trouble. DH was able to send what I needed by P.O., but it was a $16 or $18 lesson. Now I pack about a week extra.

How I pack medications depends on the length and type of trip. For a week or so visiting friends or camping in the pup or ground tent, I just take the boxes I use for a.m. and p.m. routine medications. For backpacking, I use the small zipper bags available in Walgreens, Walmart and such; they have a label area that can be written on when needed. (I do the same for our vitamins and supplements.) Some other medications I take in their bottles, except when backpacking. I have saved some of the smaller Rx bottles and washed them out to reuse for some pills that are in large bottles that I don't want to haul camping.
    On longer trips, I just take the bottles and refill my boxes as I do at home.

8. capy235co

capy235co Member

I use a 7 day pill container and have several for extended trips. Works great for camping and helps keep you squared away with your meds
    On the subject of lists. I suggest doing a list of all medications on the computer with the date printed "AS OF XX-XX-XX-" Keep this in your wallet or purse and never leave home without it. Also when you visit the doctor...print it out and take it with you. Give a fresh copy to the doctor each time. They often prescribe new meds and can see possible drug interaction problems especially where you may have more than one doctor.

Be sure to remember to enter ICE in your cell phone too. In Case of Emergency. - First thing Paramedics look for.

9. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

I am Canadian and camp frequently in the US. Crossing the border can be sticky at times so I take all my meds in the bottles with the RX number , pill name and dosage written on the bottle. No more hassles. Got into this habit and do it all the time now. In case of emergency and I end up in a hospital, there are all my meds and how much and when I take them, plus the name and phone number of the drug store if needed. We don't mail order drugs in Canada.

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

PLEASE PLEASE check your state laws, and those states in which you travel. SW Virginia has a horrible prescription drug problem. If you take RX drugs and have them on you, you had BETTER have the original bottles with you or you will be doing your explaining from handcuffs in a police station. I'm not sure if this is true throughout the Commonwealth (ya, VA isn't even a proper state) or not, but where I live, it's "street law" at a minimum.

Having said that, I also take a ton of pills every day. At home they're in a toolbox, hopefully not someplace a thief would look. Camping, I take my 7 day pill holder for daily use and keep it beside my bunk. The actual bottles with all the proper information on them go into a gallon Ziploc baggie and are hidden in a storage area in the PUP. In transit, the baggie rides up front in my "car bag".

With my memory, balance & panic issues, and an officer possibly grilling me over what I take which pill for, I would likely appear to be "needing a fix". And diabetes...did I mention that? Gee sh...now I feel half dead! [LOL] [LOL]

Anyway, I'm sure it's a simple phone call to your 'local' state police office to verify the laws where you are living / travelling. Sure could save you a LOT of headaches, to have the pharmacy bottles with you!

[:D]

11. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I also take an abundance of medications, several of which are inhalers. I have a list, printed by doctor, that I keep with me at all times. Like others have said, I keep my pills in a 7 day pill holder. Each day has a place for morning, noon, eve, and bedtime. I only take pills morning and bedtime, so when we camp for more than 1 week, I fill the noon and evening compartments with pills which will now be for the second week of morning and bedtime. We have never been camping longer than 2 weeks. I also have a small canvas zip bag, that I keep all my inhalers,along with my pill box and this keeps all of my meds together while camping.

12. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I take just what I need in a pill bottle, but I also throw in a couple of days worth extra of my Synthroid, just in case our trip got delayed, had a break down, etc. Missing that medication is not life threatening for me (I'm hypothyroid), but it is best if I take it every day.

13. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Thats a good idea, it will also make them water proof. Great idea for canoeing/kayaking!
    We have a Food Saver/Game Saver, I'm going to try it out ... Thanks

Alan [UNI]

14. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I bring them in their RX bottles. Mostly because the older I get the more pills I seem to be taking and I don't want to get them confused. Especially those pills that look similar. I put them in a LLBean nylon bathroom pouch and locked up in my truck during the day and in the pup at night or when I'm there or mealtime.

15. disp44

disp44 New Member

DW and I each use a 7 day pill container. For her insulin we use a battery powered container which plugs into either Pup or TV so it is always with us. [2C]

16. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I used to use one of those 7-day pill organizer but one of the things I don't like about them is they (at least the ones I've seen) don't seal against weather/dust/dropping very well. I once dropped the organizer just after I filled it and about 60 assorted pills went rolling across the floor.

So now I leave about two weeks worth of each pill at home and take the bottles with all the information on them and keep them in my duffel bag.

I keep a list of my meds and dosages on my computer and keep a copy in my car glove box, my suitcase, a drawer in my camper and if it is cold out I keep a copy in my jacket (I'm not paranoid -[hey who said that] - who me?).

17. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

I to use the 90 day supply and i divide them up in a 30 day container i picked up somewhere it works great except for my narcotics which i only transport in the current bottle

18. HeatherZ

HeatherZ New Member

I usually take all the meds in their bottles and put them all in a ziplock bag. I make sure that me, DH, and DS all take our morning pills at the same time that way none get forgotten. We did try the organizer once and suffered the same fate as beemerboy.

Last year DH ran a half marathon with the Team in Training and I bought him a Road ID. I sprang for the extra $10 and got him the one that he could go online and enter his medical info so that if anything did happen to him, the emergency personnell could go to the website and retrieve what they needed. He wears that when we camp now too. (I actually thought about getting one for myself also because I take oral chemo for Leukemia - just having a list of meds on my person in an emergency is not much help if the resopnder has no clue what Gleevec is or what it is for.)

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The 7-day dispensers are not waterproof and open easily, but haven't found a good substitute, yet, except for the little zipper bags. When he took vitamins on a trip, DH just rubber-banded them face-to-face. However, the vials the pills arrive in are also not that waterproof, as I found out when I dropped one into the sink - at least it was one I had used for ibuprofen. (We buy the big bottles, but have to put them in smaller ones to fit int he day-to-day cupboard.)

For space considerations, I would prefer not to take the pill bottles, especially when there is so much air space in some of them. (One of my meds now arrives in bottles that would hold 3-4 times what is in them.)

I have heard before about the requirements to keep Rx in original containers, and have never come up with a perfect solution for me. When I have to travel with narcotics, they stay in the original bottles.

Both DH and I have MedicAlert bracelets, and our information is kept up-to-date there. However, it did not appear that anyone accessed it when DH was hit by a car earlier this year, so I've considered the Road ID as an additional information source.

20. Jean

Jean New Member

I've been on anti-seizure medication since I was 13. So, although that's all I take, I've had to face this many times since then.

For the most part, I use those 7 day organizers to make sure I've taken my medication, whether I'm at home or not. I have extras, so I can pack my medication early.

I've done this many many times, and each time I get to where I'm going and I'm horror struck that I have forgotten my medication. I've gotten very tired of this.

I've taken to putting my medicine in last. I have it out with all my stuff, and as I put things in my duffel bag, it goes in last. This has worked better (since the feeling that I've forgotten it gets worse as I dig through my bag) but still not completely done. A couple weeks ago I was on a trip with a group in a spot where it would have been a huge problem to get replacement meds. I dug out an old fanny pack and stuck my meds in there. Anytime I thought "Did I bring them?" I only had to reach down to find them. I liked this the best.

I think that my trips are either less than a week, or more than two weeks. Longer trips, I bring the prescription bottles. I always bring extras. On our last trip, we were ferrying between islands, so even when we went to another island for a day trip, I bought a days worth of medication on me. I've never needed it, but there have been times I could have easily needed it.

Jean