Bringing medications.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by beemerboy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. candleems

candleems Member

From someone (me) that treats many patients on an ambulance:

PLEASE keep a current list in your wallet of
    1: your name and birthdate (not all people carry their driver's licenses while adverturing),
    2: your medications with dosages and how often,
    3: your past medical history (hint: if you take medication for high blood pressure and it's now controlled, you still have high blood pressure),
    4: allergies to medications and food,
    5: someone to call in case you are unconscious (this person needs to know all about your medical history and have a list in front of them they can read to us AND preferably fax to the hospital we are taking you to).

The list can be printed by the doctor. You don't have to hand write it (except for #5). If the list is changed by the doctor, ask for a print out before you leave the office. It is easy, just takes the click of a mouse. Makes life for the ambulance personnel so much easier.

DON'T count on us to be able to find or work your cell phone. They are all different. Chances of your phone being lost or damaged are pretty good if you are unconscious. Paper is easier and quicker to use.

If you are carrying medications that are NOT in the prescription bottle, that list from above is a must.

One last thing, PLEASE take your medications as prescribed. You've asked the doctor to help keep you alive. Follow his/her advice or find another doctor whose opinion you like better.

2. Charlene

Charlene New Member

I keep my information on me because I am on insulin. It is in my phone and in my wallet. Can't tell you how many times my cell phone has no juice.

My challenge camping is keeping insulin cool /not warm or not too cold, depending on when I go camping. The biggest thing is to remember that I keep my insulin in food, as that usually works.

In Canada, if you ask really nice, is that the pharamacist can label a smaller bottle with prescription stuff for travel, to put a few of your pills in. They will only do that at the time of the prescription being filled, because of liability. That helps with volume, because I really do not like taking them out of the bottles. I used to do 7 day one, and a smaller one, but I just take too many maintenance things. I get like 500 Metformin at a time, but I do not need them all. I like doing that. I have never had problems with needles either, cause I carry it on me on the plane, with full documentation. The big thing is finding disposable for the used syringes when I travel. In Vancouver airport, washrooms have syringe disposal, but it is not as common elsewhere, so I usually bring them home when I travel.

3. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

I take quite a few medications a day for my back problem, one of which is a narcotic. I always ALWAYS travel with those in their original bottles with label, and hide it somewhere that wouldn't be easily found.

I had an ANTIBIOTIC stolen out of my camp site once, probably because someone walked by, saw the bottle, picked it up in case it was something good, and just walked off. Therefore, I ALWAYS hide the bottle. I just take temptation right out of the way.

4. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

About having the ICE contact on your cellphone.

I'm a volunteer fireman and at emergency scenes I have never seen the EMT's or the medic check someones phone. Generally at the scene there is no time to screw around looking for and checking someones cellphone. We also have a policy not to allow the firemen, EMT's and medic call anyone's contact unless the patient requests it and talk themselves. We leave that up to the hospital or police to do that.

The medic doesn't even go through a patients wallet. Generally, we don't check the cars glovebox either.

One time a firefighter from a neighboring department found the accident victim's phone and decided to tell the family that their son was killed. That little incident cost that department a lot of money settling the lawsuit.