Bringing your camper on Amtrak

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Has anyone taken the autotrain?

I called to verify, but it seems that it is ok for me to bring my pup and tow vehicle on the train, by buying two spots. It will leave from VA and arrive in FL in about 15 hours.

Is it too crazy? Whats kinda koo koo is that at the current fuel prices, the auto train is about the same cost as fuel (for one spot anyways).

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I looked into taking the auto train as I had an old friend who retired to Florida but still made regular visits to her friends here using the auto train. I never realized popups could be allowed on the auto train though. I was considering hauling my tent and camping gear in my SUV. I never furthered my research as I'm thinking it would actually be cheaper to fly and rent a car and hotel and give up on the idea of camping. [V] I'm still trying to research but would be interesting to see how it works out for you. Although the cost of car and camper on the train is going to cost $$$. I'm sure

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
It's cheaper to go from fla to VA, but from VA to fla is 258 for the TV if under 190in. About 30 more for up to 210 I think.

Your pup needs a space too. Same pricing for length.

With gas around 5 and 900 miles, it comes pretty close for me. just the cost of passengers, which is about 500 for a family of 4 (2 kids) and about 600 for the TV+camper. It would leave me about -800 (no gas!) And it would let me sleep.
I'll value my sleep at $30/hr. Assuming I can get 8 hrs, that's 240. So now I'm down to 560. Bfast and dinner for 4, so let's say it's 10/meal. That's 80. Now I'm down to 480. I'd almost consider a sleeping room. But it's like 400 more.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
@Patrick w Curious is there a width limit? Did they tell you? I knew about length and height. I thought I read somewhere where nothing could extend past the stock mirrors. So assumed that would be the max width. I highly doubt my popup would be allowed as it already is longer than my SUV hitch to bumper.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
It's not all models either, just depends on how close to the edge they get. Looks like the jay sport models can make it (80 in bed) and some of the coachmen clippers (85") are too wide. But some of them like the 806xls just makes it at 84. And of course the clipper express.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Ironically as I search this I can across the opus trailer. Holy cow are they expensive... And ... Narrow. Their beds are 50" x 68in.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Crazy seeing this, in laws have sent their SUV from FL to DC & driven to south Jersey, never hears of it...

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Holy crap, I jsut did this... for the cheapest option (not including the PUP at all) it would be $1515.00. Including the PUP would be another $536. This was VA to FL and back.. I think I'll drive, lol

Last edited:

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Holy crap, I jsut did this... for the cheapest option (not including the PUP at all) it would be $1515.00. Including the PUP would be another $536. This was VA to FL and back.. I think I'll drive, lol
I got a very different price than you...

monday may 30's leaving: 208 for regular, 239 for extended vehicles. Fares were 136 for adults, and half price for children. Were you doing round trip? I was just going to do one way and then explore on the way up!!

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I just looked and my truck is too big even for the extended vehicle category. You made me sad today, Patrick. [V]
[V]
Sorry... :( Oddly, you can call them up. They drive your vehicle+ camper together. (hence the two spaces). As long as the width is ok, they could probably accomidate you for an extra price.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
I got a very different price than you...

monday may 30's leaving: 208 for regular, 239 for extended vehicles. Fares were 136 for adults, and half price for children. Were you doing round trip? I was just going to do one way and then explore on the way up!!

Yes, round trip with 6 people (mix of kids and adult kids). I guess I didn't think about doing 1 way only.