Bristol Speedway

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by clay, Dec 26, 2011.

1. clay

clay Pop up...then Pop-a-Top...my friend.

I'm planning to go to the August Nascar race @ Bristol Speedway. Does anyone have any suggestions for a campground that provides shuttle service to and from the track? I'm not worried about water hook up but would love to have electric (for the a/c). I looked at the campgrounds near the track and most have no hook ups or else they are quite expensive!! I plan on being there from Thursday 23rd to Sunday26th.

2. 4x2x2Kx2

4x2x2Kx2 3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!

You might look into Double "D" Roost and Woodsmoke on this page: http://www.unicoicounty.org/recreation-camping.php I have had friends stay at both campgrounds and spoke highly of each of them. I would have sworn that Double "D" had a webpage but I can't find it now...

My parents live in the area and under normal (non-race) conditions either campground would be about 40 minutes from the track. I doubt either of them offer shuttle service to the race, but I also doubt either CG will try and stick ya for a premium price on a tiny spot in a field with no hookups and a few porta-jons. I'm not sure about other areas around the track, but it seems like if you get any closer on the southside of the track than Unicoi County the prices shoot up quickly and in many cases you are just renting a spot in a hayfield.

Good luck in your search! At least you have the wheels turning early.

3. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Not sure about a shuttle, but I like Observation Knob. It's a county-owned campground on the lake, and they take reservations. It ahs hookups.

Most of the campgrounds for race week aren't campgrounds any other time of year, and few of them have electric or anything else other than a spot within a few miles of the track. Some are really, really unlevel.

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

For the last three years, we have stayed at Twin City Drive In. We stay in the section with electric as it is usually very hot in August. Lots of friendly campers and we see the same folks every year. In the past we have stayed at Earharts ($200 for the week), they have electric and water available, but the party crowd was not for us and they pack you in like sardines. We have also stayed at Shadracks ($650 for the week), we had water and electric at the site, but we were packed in worse than Earharts. The Drive In is $300 for the week and the owners are the greatest. The Drive in has a shuttle to the track for the Saturday race for $5. We have walked to and from the track with little problem, but the shuttle is nice. Camping at a Nascar Race is certainly not a "Real Camping" experience, but this is the reason we first bought our pup to save on hotels. If interested, you can call Ellen at 423-968-7083 or visit the website twincitydriveintheatre.com for info and photos. We will be back in August and for the last few years, we have seen a definate decline in attendance at the races. Good luck and if you stay at the Drive In, look us up, we are usually right behind the snack shop. Oh, DW says to tell you the showers are the cleanest around!!

5. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

Subscribed... this may have made my list for 2012! So who has tickets?

6. clay

clay Pop up...then Pop-a-Top...my friend.

Great input gang! Thanks so much!! Nascar fan, you are spot on! Experience is a great tool!! I've only gone to one Nascar race (Lowe's speedway), stayed in a hotel, a got stuck in massive traffic after the race. From the sound of it, you have your race week "camping" well in order. Tell your DW that my DW says "thanks for the shower info" :) That's major!! So is having electric so we have a/c and for her hair dryer. I'll let you know if I make reservations. Hope to see you there. Happy New Year to all, Scott

7. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

ecupcar - We are season ticket holders, or at least that is what they call us. We only go to the cup race on Saturday night and we opt in for our seats for the next August race. If one is a brave soul and show up for the race without tickets, the scalpers are practically giving tickets away right before the race starts. There really are not any bad seats, only some are better than other. Here is some great info for anyone coming to Bristol for the first time and looking for seating advice.http://nascar.about.com/od/tracks/a/bristolseats.htm

8. Mekfb

Mekfb New Member

I've been going to Bristol for a few years now, both March and August. I stay at Peaceful Valley Campground. It is about a mile and a half from the track and they will shuttle you to and from the race. They get you as close as the Highway Patrol will allow them to go. By my estimate you end up walking a little less than 1/2 mile both before and after the race. The campground is only for the race weekends. It is on the grounds of Gateway Baptist Church. It is $100 for the whole race week regardless of how many nights you stay for a spot with no hookups. If I recall correctly it is about $220 for a site with hookups. Also they are alcohol and drug free, which appeals to me... it might not to others. All of my experiences with this campground have been great. Non hookup sites are VERY spacious... basically a field that you pick where to setup.

http://valleycamping.com/