Broke Camp in Record Time, Here's Why.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Ted S., Sep 27, 2014.

1. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

Typically under an hour for setup or pack up. If thunder is the alarm clock we've done it about 20 minutes. Everyone in the family doing tasks usually helps to move things along efficiently.

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I went ahead and got another collapsible trashcan with the stakes and the zippered lid since I really liked the first one and they are inexpensive. I don't know about other states, but in Texas State Parks they usually have a tall lantern holder in the campsites. Most people use the hook to hold their trash off the ground, but I have a sort of pet peeve about doing that. I plan on putting the trash can in the front of our campsite now rather than out back, so those evil daylight critters will have to be brave to get to it. :)

3. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

Ill never shave much time off of our 1 hour breakdown or setup. I think the trick is to make it fun. turn on some music, slow down, enjoy it if the weather is nice, and WOW what a great opportunity to teach kids about a million things about logic, step by step completion of a complex task..never hurts to have a mimosa handy to remind you that you are still on "vacation" even though you are closing it up. its a final celebration of the long weekend. I tend to sing the entire time, much to the embarrasment of kids and dw.

nrg

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Hear, Hear! That is awesome! Your kids will always remember you with a smile in their heart.
    This is our philosophy, too (Only, we enjoy a stiff cup of Joe). We enjoy the process. It's all part of the experience. We take a real long time breaking down. We clean everything put things away so they are clean and ready for the next use, including cables, cords, tools, sewer fittings and hoses (all sanitized), water fittings and hoses. DW makes the interior sparkle while I focus on all of the canvas, seals, tools, water, electrical, and the stinky stuff. When visitors see our PUP, they think we just bought it. When we tell them that we've camped 40 nights and traveled 10k miles with it already, they don't believe it. In the rain, we do a quicker modified routine and get back to it when we get home (sometimes the next day). I'm getting ready to give her and the TV a bath for our rally at Desoto next week! It's all clean, but I like to give it a touch up so it shines going down the road. OCD me. [:D]

5. OldnSlow

OldnSlow Member

I have gone from tenting, to popup, back to tenting, and soon back to popup. I am the anal organized one, so I have a system. I can get the packing done, with airmatress, bedding, tent, table shade, and chairs, including cooking stuff all packed in about an hour..... and that is enjoying myself in the process! One memorable trip with the old hard side popup, my then 12 year old son and I could set up in approximately 15 minutes, including making the beds!

6. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

We just Walmart camped in the new rig and what a joy it was to pull in, get out of the truck, go into the trailer and go to bed in about 5 minutes. That includes pouring a whiskey.

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Yeah Ted, but that is a 5 star hotel you are hauling there.... [:D]

8. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

The funny thing is my popup is my true love, just camped the long weekend in it with the family. Never going to let her go.

9. gruss

gruss Active Member

That's great, I'd love to someday have a small TT for just me and the wife, quick trips or tourism stuff, but when the kids come to visit or need more room, or just want to have all the windows open and feel like camping, take the pop up. youngest is 6 so I have plenty of time to plan....

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I feel the same way with the HTT/pop. The pup is for what my definition of camping is, the HTT is for DW definition of camping! lol!