Broken Bed - almost a serious problem

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
We almost had a bad evening - we drove 4.5 hours to Huntsville, AL (staying at the Rocket Center RV park). Got here in good time, no issues with the TV, got everything set up, ready to go. I was very happy the AC was working correctly (had a condensate drain issue previously).

Laid down, and the bed started to fall....both my wife and I jumped out of it, and began investigating. Our bed has a bracket riveted to the aluminum channel on the back wall for a stop.....the rivets broke and let the bed slide out of the camper.

Apparently this has been a problem in the making, as the bracket had obviously been twisting back and forth on one rivet according to the scratches on the aluminum channel.

I started asking for directions to Lowe's for either rivets or bolts to fix it....the guy next to us happened to have a rivet gun and nice aluminum rivets of the right size....popped two in, good as new.

I'm still a bit nervous, but I think the fix will work....heck the first two rivets made it since 1995!

1stpopup

Aug 4, 2009
SE US
Whew. Glad you didn't hit the ground or tear the canvas. That guy need a 6 pack of something.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Bullfrog Bheer

Super Active Member
Feb 19, 2010
Central Wisconsin
We had that bed stop come off on us a couple years ago. On our older model, you can't even get to the thing to put new rivets in it unless you take the bed half out. Glad it was an easier fix.

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
I was able to put the bracket in with the bed out a few inches, and close the bed to get it into the right place thankfully....your right, otherwise a nearly impossible repair to reach.

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
One of the rivet head snapped off again the next night....ended up buying a rivet gun and aluminum rivets (couldn't find steel), and moved the kids onto the bed.

I think what is happening is the bracket is being stressed because the channel the rails ride in have gotten stretched out or something....I'm going to attempt to straighten them when we get home.

Otherwise the camper has done outstanding on a 1500 mile trip (we have five hours of driving left tomorrow). We decided to stay in a hotel tonight, wasn't worth the work for a single night (we've stayed in the camper five nights in a row in two different campgrounds)

HappyFamily

May 20, 2014
the guy next to us happened to have a rivet gun and nice aluminum rivets of the right size

talk about being in the right place at the right time! I believe that was a true camper's angel!

Now I am not exactly sure what rivets you are talking about but the next time we open up our PUP I will be trying to find them and give them an inspection!