Broken lift pole Goshen system

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Rose & Jeff, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Rose & Jeff

Rose & Jeff New Member

We are about to call it quits with the 97 Coachmen Clipper we bought. Seems like one problem uncovers another problem and it’s just my husband and I trying to work on it. In other posts I wrote about the broken main cable (fixed that) which led us to brackets on all 4 lift post corners bent and pulled out of side panels ( all corners have soft area where brackets had been so we know there was water damage. Have roof supported so we could work on it. One corner would not extend. On inspection we found two of the three sections came out but third section stuck down in hole. We dropped the springs to see if we could get piece out. We couldn’t. How in the heck do you get them out? We were going to see if we could repair it or replace it but can’t even get to it.
    We were hoping to be able to fix the side panels and brackets with roof on but now we are stuck on this problem. My husband just wants to give up and post it for sale as is. I agree with him but then go back and forth on decision. Seems like this pu just might be too much for our first adventure.
    Anyone have ideas about getting this section of lift pole out? Anyone in the Gainesville FL area that could come by and assess? We are just frustrated and want to give up.

2. Robert Hornung

Robert Hornung New Member

I don't know if you figured it out yet. I have a 1995 Dutchmen with the same lift system. On mine, there are screws going along the top rail on the actual camper. You need to remove the screws and lift the rail to gain access to the lift posts. Not sure if yours is the same. I also have a question for you. I am building a new roof for my camper. But the brackets on the lift posts only have a slight bend in them so the face of the bracket is in alignment with the front of the lift post. The problem is that sits in the middle of the top rail. So if I were to attach the side wood to the roof bracket, the sides would sit on the top of the camper instead of outside and below the top of the camper. So, are the metal plates that are welded to the top of the lift posts bent (all 4 bent in the same position?) or do you not fully lower the lift posts all the way down? I'm a little confused. Any info would help me. Thanks

HeatherBlü likes this.