Broken Lock on Door

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by TheRealCrazy8, May 5, 2020.

1. TheRealCrazy8

TheRealCrazy8 Member

I noticed the other day that my NTU PUP (2005 Jayco Jay Series 1407) has a door lock that feels a little....... not so secure. We're all familiar with these and how rickety they can get. Well, I decided I would test the lock while I as standing there holding the door. I locked the door an the inside handle, and then tried to see if I would be able to open it by just pressing the button. Turns out, somewhere between 5-8 times of pressing the button on the outside of the door, I can gain access to the camper.

What do you all do in a scenario like this? How could I get new locks like this? When my family and I start to take our first camping trips in this thing, I want to know that someone couldn't get in simply by "jiggling the handle".

Attached Files:

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Anyone who wants to get in can just pull the velcro away from the door frame and reach in, so in general the lock doesn't do much. We only locked our door for privacy purposes. If we were changing and one of the kids tried the door we'd yell.

I dont think a replacement would be expensive or difficult to replace, so the choice is yours. I wouldn't bother.

generok, TheRealCrazy8 and xxxapache like this.
  3. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

My doorknob wasn’t closing right so I replaced it with a screen door knob. Perfect fit. Got it at Ace.

TheRealCrazy8 and eoleson1 like this.
  4. TheRealCrazy8

TheRealCrazy8 Member

That's a good point. I think the only thing the door lock would offer other than some (albeit minor) peace of mind is a. it means the crook would cause a little more noise with the velcro and risk being spotted, b. having his hand in the camper might look a little suspicious, and c. there isn't going to be anything of great value by the door so he might make way with some chips or something...lol But yeah, they could just as easily reach in to unlock the door and let themselves in. I hope to never have to experience that. It's a real shame that people even feel the need to do that kind of stuff.

5. TheRealCrazy8

TheRealCrazy8 Member

Im not 100% sure if I know they type you're referring to, Do you by chance have a picture I could see?

6. Natureangel

4102C637-9A00-4767-9434-8FE8D0EFEDC6.jpeg

TheRealCrazy8 likes this.
  7. Natureangel

Only time it’s locked is when I’m sleeping inside. I often solo camp and I have an alarm on the door for that.

TheRealCrazy8 and generok like this.
  8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I locked my PUP door when it was down only to keep the neighborhood kids out of it. For some reason, I found kids to be fascinated by that little door, and always found them up on the yard playing with it. I did my part to condition them to not do it, but the lock was enough to foil a curious 7 year old.

When we popped up, we locked it occasionally when we were away at a busy CG. Like you said, it was just to make it a little slower or louder to get in, but I never considered it a security measure of any real value.

TheRealCrazy8 likes this.