Broken pulley wheel

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by KennyMiller, Jul 8, 2019.

  1. KennyMiller

    KennyMiller New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Hi everyone, my 1974 Starcraft Starmaster 6 blew one of the plastic pulley wheels inside one of the lifting posts. I need any help anyone can provide, I have no idea about the lifting system. Any lists or links to videos would be really helpful. I am looking at YouTube as well.
     
  2. Dakota

    Dakota New Member

    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2018
    Location:
    Salt Lake City
    Hi, sorry to hear u have lift probs. Your system is the same for Starcraft 6 up to 1982. There are many discussions on this forum addressing the lift system u have. I have a 74 and replaced the entire cables and pullrys last year. I was able to get the cables and pulleys on Ebay. Under Starcraft Starmaster 6 u will find a new pulley with metal roller for 10.25.
     
  3. KennyMiller

    KennyMiller New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Thanks, that’s handy information. I just found the owners manual thread and found an ‘82 and older lift system manual for Starcraft, I guess that’s what I need. The cable running to the broken wheel is fraying a bit due to a sticky wheel under the trailer, so may as well replace it...looks like the cables only come in a set...might as well! How long did it take you to replace your cables?
     
  4. Dakota

    Dakota New Member

    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2018
    Location:
    Salt Lake City
    Well I am retired and tend to putter a lot, so I took my time. The 1st one i did was on the front. I cut 2 by 4's 42 inches long and braced the roof up. Then removed the lifters one at a time and replaced the secondary cable which is inside the lifter. Then put it back in its slot and routed the primary cable into the lifter and attached it to the lifter first and routed it on to the wiffle tree.
    I bought one front cable and one back cable then I went to home depot and bought stainless steel cable and made the other two. It was cheaper but the swaging tool was pretty pricey.
     
  5. Dakota

    Dakota New Member

    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2018
    Location:
    Salt Lake City
    I guess my previous post seemed a little vague. It must've taken me a couple of weeks to do including the time it took to repair the rotted floor below the lifters. I bought angle iron and bolted to the frame after removing the lifter and cutting away the rotted wood. So I had to drill a 1/2 " hole in the angle iron for the cable to pass through. Also had to pull the lifters apart and straighten them and clean all the grease off the PO had really messed em up good. So only use silicone spray after u put them in. Some that have done this type of repair use a steel plate instead of the angle Iron I used. It was tedious work but I feel confident now it will not be a future problem again.i also rebuilt the complete front and back of the trailer. Took another month of work. I did it myself as I live alone and am 76. Good luck, if I can u can. Sorry I can't show u pictures, that area is my weakness. LOL
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.