Broken solar glass

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by inthedirt, May 11, 2013.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Anyone know if the glass can be replaced on solar panels? I'll need to test the panels to be sure they still work, and if so, would like to get them fixed up right. Any thoughts?

2. billangiep

billangiep Member

3. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

The individual cells will still work. I've toyed with the idea of buying cheap, broken ones and tearing them apart to make my own custom panels. There are often cheap panels of tempered glass for sale on CL around here so you may be able to go that route.

4. Summerzzzoff

Summerzzzoff Member

I have a solar panel that the glass "spiderwebbed" from someone stepping on it. It still works perfectly.

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Does anyone know how to test for wattage on a solar panel

6. billangiep

billangiep Member

Thinking out loud here, measure output voltage , then connect a load ( 60 watt light bulb or something) then measure amps.
    example 18 volts x 3 amps = 54 watts

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Isn't the important thing the number of amps and not the watts. After all when you are buying a deep cycle battery you buy based on the number of amps storage not the number of watts.

Sorry IntheDirt for participating in the thread hijack.

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Me too but seeing the part regarding the inability to replace the glass or patching it, I figured the thread was addressed and could be expanded on. Then in reading the link that was provided, it mentioned measuring the wattage output of a damaged panel. That lead to my question.

So, in furthering the hijack (sorry) it is my understanding that the rating in the panels is based upon wattage as opposed to amperage for reasons that I do not know. Most materials I've read refer to the electrical use in amps then translated to a wattage recommendation for the size solar panel needed. Which s interesting because when we speak of converters or chargers, we also decide based upon amps.

Things that make you go humm.......

J

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Wow, this is rocket science. Thx for the formula. I'll see if I can figure this out.

11. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I tested each panel and they are still puting out their rated V/A, so thats a plus. I attached the smaller one to my boys' pitbike and let it trickle charge the battery. It brought the old battery up from 7v to 11.6v in a matter of 8hrs @ 2.25A (yes, the battery is toast, but just sayin....). I decided to take a chance and bought some quality clear coat paint. When I covered each panel, most of the spiderwebs filled in. If you're standing 10ft from them, you can barely make out any damage. I plan to mount them to the roof of the Pup this week and wire up the controller to the battery case. Should be ready to go for Memorial Weekend!

12. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Yea! Glad they are working. Enjoy your weekend. I know we will.

13. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I'll be excited to see how the two panels and my charge controller work. We're heading to my daughters church camp to help with a clean-up weekend. My pastor has a TT and wants me to help him with a solar install. So this maiden voyage will really help test the waters. Can't wait!