Broken(?) toilet valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Tom2540, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Tom2540

Tom2540 New Member

On my last trip (only our second with our NTU pup), the blade valve on the cassette toilet stopped working. Now that we’re home, I’ve taken out the cassette and unscrewed the valve assembly plate. The knob outside the tank is connected to a swing-arm inside that sits below the blade. The blade turns on a separate pivot, but there’s nothing connecting it to the swing arm, other than friction as the arm bumps the blade in passing. The blade isn’t bound, so it will move as the arm goes by, but not a consistent full-open to full-shut.

Is anyone familiar with how the blade and arm are supposed to be connected? I can’t see any broken spots where it looks like a connection broke. Are replacement parts available for these?

(Don't worry that's just mud in the pictures)

IMG_6705.jpg IMG_6706.jpg IMG_6707.jpg

2. Tom2540

Tom2540 New Member

Also, is the float supposed to connect to anything? Or is that just a feature for toilets that have a full-tank light?

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Your mechanism looks slightly different than I remember. In our case the little peg on the blade valve that connects it to the actuator arm was broken off allowing the blade to just float freely in place, not sealing or moving out of the way. I thought a replacement blade would be the cheapest fix but couldn't find one. I finally got a complete new mechanism from Thetford, they are now available on Amazon and maybe other sources.
    https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-323...nt=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-537309130211&psc=1

Unless the float us used to block opening the cassette when it reaches a certain level I have no idea what it is for, I don't see any electrical connections it can affect.

4. Tom2540

Tom2540 New Member

SteveP, thanks. I did a little more online research as well and found a parts list for the mechanism. There's a part number assigned to what could be that connecting peg, which is labeled as "unavailable". So I guess it's a whole new mechanism for me too. It's a shame to spend an arm and a leg for a new mechanism for want of a $10 piece of plastic . . . oh well.