Broken water filter

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by paepae805, Apr 7, 2019.

1. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Got the PUP out of winter storage this AM to get some items cleaned up and what not. I also wanted to fill the fresh water tank as we will doing some boon docking this season.

Anyways got the fresh water tank filled and turned on water pump inside and all of a sudden water started flushing out from underneath dining seat. I shut off pump and took cushion off and find my water filter holder wasnt connected and on the ground. I thought it had to be screwed back on but nope, it was a clean break. SMH Glad I found this out now and not in a few weeks when we may be out on our first seasonal excursion. So a call into the dealer will be made in the AM.

It was garaged stored all winter so I am thinking the cold wouldn't of caused it. Who knows

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I didn't even know some pups had water filters lol. Good luck with your repair.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

That sure does suck. Could you get in the threads with a punch and screw the remaining piece out, then order a replacement filter canister?

4. paepae805

paepae805 Member

I was able to get the threaded piece out quite easily. Hoping the dealer can order a replacement and shipped it right to the house.

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

In my rockwood hw277 (year 2011) i bypassed our on board water filter (took it out completely) and just used an external filter. The on board filter was located right over our power center and if it ever broke, water would be all over the converter/breakers etc. Not a good location in my mind.
    Did the same to the current hybrid - mostly because it was in the hardest to get to spot they could pick.....
    Lowes and Home depot have parts that i used to bypass the thing.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have always used two things for water (other than the hose) an outside filter system and a pressure regulator (at the faucet), the outside filter is easier to change that one inside.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  8. paepae805

paepae805 Member

I had an appointment with our dealer(40 miles away) for next week. They were going to charge $40 for the part and $12 labor. Plus my personal time to hook up, drive it there, and back. I decided to look at the part to see if there was a model number/part number on the broken piece. Sure enough, there was. I decided to look them up and I was able to order a part direct from the company and it only cost $30 for part and $5 for 2 day shipping. So i am saving a bit, plus I don't have to hook up and make an unnecessary trip. Should be arriving today sometime. Assuming weather behaves, we will be camping for easter for our first trip!