Bubble window blues...

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by A-Ranger12, Apr 6, 2020.

1. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

This is more to vent than anything. I love the bubble windows on our Aliner. That's what drew us to it in the first place. Having those giant windows sure does open up the space. It also gives me just enough headroom to sit comfortably at the dinette or reclined on the sofa.

But, wow, those are attached with hopes and dreams! One window has 3 of the 4 corners lifting up after stripping out the old caulk. Both windows had evidence of failed seals on the "up" side when the roof is raised. It doesn't help that water can pool there during storage, especially the rear window. Glad the roof and walls are a composite foam and fiberglass, so rot isn't as big a worry.

The plan in progress right now is to strip the old caulk, let any residual water dry, use 3M Extreme Bond double sided tape to stick the lifting corners back down, apply painter's tape to the areas I don't want new caulk (Sika Sikasil N Plus silicone sealant, to be precise), and apply new caulk around the windows. That should stop the leaks. Yes, it's a lot of labor. Yes, I could have fired the money cannon at it with Eternabond tape and been way ahead on time. I want it to look as factory as possible. And learn something in the process.

Feel free to commiserate, laugh, or nitpick my plan!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not knlwing anything about a lines, but i thought windows were put in with butyl tape. Then you can seal with dicore non sag of you want to. Silicon is frowned upon. Ask around here , im sure others have replaced there seels already. Better to take someones proven solution then to try and wing it on your own.

3. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I did.

I was told to stay away from Dicor, and recommended this one by name. This specific sealant is used for fiberglass and polycarbonate, and lists RV's as a use. It's not box-store silicone caulk.

4. Sjm9911

Looks ok for a sealent, says its super flexable. You are sealimg around thw window, but how does the tape hold up? Are you removing the whole window and reinstalling it? Or just trying to get it to seal where it came up?

5. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

If you have to turn to Eternabond as a last resort, I have a friend that used it on her front bubble window. True, it doesn't look factory, but it looks okay and solved the leaking problem.

6. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

The latter, using it to stick down raised up parts. I've used this tape to hold on exterior car trim with broken tabs. A little piece held on for years adhering ABS plastic to painted steel. It should work fine holding on plastic windows to fiberglass.

I'm also working the sealant under the raised sections to help the tape.

One window was completed last night. Looks factory.

7. Sjm9911

Ok nice. Good luck with the fix.

8. Brent Engel

Brent Engel New Member

Would you post a pic when you’re done? Curious to how it looks with the black eternabond.

9. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I'm not using Eternabond. The tape I'm using is under the window corners, sticking down corners that raised up when the old sealant got cut away. The new sealant looks like the factory stuff, with the goal of having the repair look factory.

I'll post pictures once I figure out how.

Brent Engel likes this.
  10. Carolelynn74

Carolelynn74 New Member

11. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

We had a slight leak in our front window and went straight for the eternabond as we were on a trip and had a lot of rain expected. I LOVE ETERNABOND. I had no idea before that there was such a fantastic product, lol.

Does it look perfectly factory, not entirely, but it looks nice and that stuff is major. Seriously love it. I will probably Eternabond any weak looking spots immediately upon our next camper purchase, if we do ever move on.

12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

13. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Enigmacamper likes this.
  14. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Update: no leaks from the windows after a day of rain!

Enigmacamper likes this.