Bubble windows, yea or nay?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Hello all! I have a chance to buy a 2013 scout fairly nearby for a pretty fair price but it has no bubble windows. I got a quote to add two and it is over 1K so that probably isn't a good option. The owner says they didn't get them because they were known to leak.

I guess my question is, do the bubble windows often leak or have other issues? Does anyone who has them wish they didn't or vice-versa? I felt like they added a significant amount of headroom in the new one we looked at but perhaps I have not considered the leaking issue enough. We are considering this for two adults and two kids, perhaps cramped I grant you, but the windows might be worth it if they make a big enough difference in the feeling of spaciousness.

Also I've been wondering for a long time, if you're laying in one of those beds can you see the stars through those tinted bubble windows? I love that idea but I'm not sure if in reality it works that way :). Thanks so much!

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't have an Aliner, but on the ones I have looked at I really prefer the dormers instead. Really increases the livability of the camper. The bubble windows only gave the illusion of more room when compared side to side. If I was doing solo camping one of those would be on the top of my list. They made some with twin beds on one end and a small dinette on the other.

3. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We have the large bubbles in our 2013 Classic and they are great. With the side windows, they give you 360 degrees of visibility, and more headroom at the dinette. Blinds work great and no leaks....

4. Enigmacamper

They are SO nice, I have a pretty tight weight limit though I have to keep in mind :rolleyes:

5. Enigmacamper

Glad to hear you like them! So...can you see the stars out of them? :)

6. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I have them in my aliner lxe and couldn't imagine not having them. depending on the sight you can see the stars, just not straight up. also great for watching lightning. may not allow you to walk right to the end but any extra headspace is great and it just gives it a more open feel. the one on the bed on my mine also opens up which realy helps with airflow.

7. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

We think our bubble windows are one of the best things about our Aliner. Haven't leaked in almost 6 years. We can lie in bed and have a great view out:
    ed. for typoos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Byrd_Huntr, Strawhouse and shuang2 like this.
  8. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

An absolute YEA! for bubble windows.
    I love being snuggled up under a fleece and reading a book under the bubble window during a storm!

16CBA231-3D02-4A74-A2FD-05132BC1FB8B.jpeg

Personally, I’d be more comfortable having factory-installed windows rather than post-market. However, I was at an Aliner dealer where they tried four different adhesives to seal a leak in a factory-installed window, so you never really know.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  9. TNW

TNW Member

My Ranger 12's windows do not leak, I can see stars though they aren't as bright as a clear window would allow, and they do add to headroom. If I choose to sit on the "couch" and lean back my head contacts the window, so there's a limit to the added headroom. The dormers would be a better option for headroom but then the weight, and the complication, well, one major asset to the Aliner is its simplicity in design, and set-up and take-down. Dormers add weight and complexity. It's all in what works for you.

Byrd_Huntr and Fbird like this.
  10. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

mine are nearly 20 years old and have never leaked

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  11. Enigmacamper

Ya'll are super helpful, I have let the owner know we will pass. I think with kids especially watching the rain and the lightning (hadn't thought of that!) and the stars through the bubble windows would be a unique experience and so worth it. Thanks!

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I usually have the blinds up after dark, so I have not tried it, but I suspect that the dark tint would make it tough to stargaze through our bubble windows. I'd go outside for that. The bubble windows do add headroom, light and an increased feeling of openness, so we do like them in our Ranger.

13. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I stuff my bubbles with Reflectix, so I can live without them. I have 3 BTW. I find the side windows let in more than enough light and I'd prefer the added insulation of the solid ceiling panels.

Chip

14. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

I'd say yes to the bubble windows. Our 2013 has bubble windows which have never leaked. I like the 360* view. They do add headroom when the built in shades are open. As your children grow you will appreciate that headroom at the dinette if you choose to use it as a dinette instead of leaving it as a bed. At the rear we have a permanent bed. I am sure if we had the sofa/bed arrangement we would need the bubble to provide headroom when seated on the sofa. I have seen mods where people have moved the back of the sofa forward to gain headroom.

We haven't tried stargazing through the bubble windows, but as others have said, the view from outside would be clearer.

I realize you have been looking at Scouts and Ranger 12s because of your weight limitation, but don't rule out the Classic. The new ones are less than 1,600 lbs off the assembly line loaded with goodies standard. Older Classics may weigh less. Just because an off-road addition has a GVWR greater than your limit doesn't mean you have to load it to the limit.

shuang2 and Fbird like this.
  15. JoePAz

JoePAz Active Member

I went with front and rear dormers on my new ranger 12. I did not want the hassle of cracking or scratches bubble windows on my Aliner. I live in the desert and there is alot of sun and sand to damage those. Plus I liked the extra spacer of dormers. I do have plastic windows on the dormers and they have their own issues, but I felt that was an easier problem as they are probably just like the windows on jeeps and other soft sides. So easier to get custom make and fit in time.