bug bombing pop up

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by 3sons, Aug 13, 2013.

1. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

Has anyone ever bug bombed or fogged a pop up. My NTU PUP has some ants and other bugs in it since it has been sitting. I was thinking of setting off a bug bomb and then letting it air out for a day or two before we go camping this weekend. Any information will help.

2. JT2

JT2 Member

Others may have done so, but my personal opinion is DON"T !

The bug-bomb "fog" is actually tiny small droplets of liquid which will settle into every bit of fabric and canvas in the PUP, including bedding and curtains. Additionally, all the food prep surfaces will get coated as well. You could air it out forever and still not get rid of the odor or the chemicals.

I'd say use a carefully directed bug spray at wherever the critters appear to be living or getting in, and that's almost certain to be along the floor lines or at various openings in the camper.

[2C]

/JT

3. jroos

jroos Member

How about spraying an insect barrier product on any path to the ground? I'm thinking stabilizers, maybe the leaf springs (instead of the tires), tongue jack, hoses and cables. If they're crawling (not flying) bugs, they should die off.

You could also sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the floor. It's not harmful to people as long as you don't get it in your eyes or mucous membranes. After a few days wipe it up with a wet rag.

It will kill the bugs by drying them out. The barrier spray will keep more from getting in (from the ground).

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

You can also use boric acid to kill them off. Available at any hardware store.

5. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I bug bombed mine and have lived to tell about it.

6. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

We bug bomb every year.....no residual odor. I do cover all the eating /cooking stuff and wipe off before we use. Just wipe the counters well.

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I've fogged back in the day and never had a problem, but now with Home Pest Control that I pick up at Ace Hardware... I've never had the need to fog again. As explained to me, it contains a micro encapsulated ingredient that sticks to the legs of the insects up to 3 months after application and kills anything crawling and their nest. I use it on the base of the walls inside the cabinets except where I store food. Once dry it is not an instant kill product, but if I do see a little pest once in a while, it's not for long.
    (I am more comfortable with a chem I can control the whereabouts of.)

8. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Yes go for natural as possible. There are so many sites that you can google for ideas.

9. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

We have had lady bugs living in our pup. They'll probably be gone after the cold winter, but the last 3 times we went camping in the fall - lady bug galore!

10. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

11. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

I have bombed mine. I use an indirect approach... I open it as much as I can in the garage and bomb the garage. I don't place the canister inside the pup. The fumes works its way into the pup.

So It's a double benefit for me! Insect free pup AND garage!

12. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

When I first got my new to me popup it I went through the whole thing with a commercial grade pesticide and a pump sprayer. Inside and out. all underneath the bed ends, cabinets, etc. Haven't seen any live insects in my camper since. It's been several years so I'm probably about due for another treatment.
    Stufff I used was called DemonWP. A little goes a LONG way.

13. turborich

turborich Active Member

I bought a 33 foot motorhome that had been sitting for a while. Had a lot of black widows underneath and inside. I set off 2 bug foggers in it and it did the trick. The counter tops can easily be wiped down just like the ones at your home.

14. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Yep, Ive done ours. Removed the curtains, pot/pans/etc... and placed it on the floor. After, I vacuumed the matrices and washed all the counters and put everything back in. DW has a nose that can small a flee fart from 1000 yards and see hasn't complained [:D] so all is good.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

During the refurb of my PUP I'll be doing some insect control as well. Maybe not a "bomb" but I will be spraying a product with a good persistence under/between/inside anywhere bug can get that I can't. Any gap in the walls, floors, etc. Usually and insect will crawl out from somewhere. It's those "somewheres" that I will be spraying stuff. Not sure what stuff yet. But none of it will be right before a trip anyway. So things will have time to dry/dissipate.