Bugs Bugs and more bugs.....

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Guzzy, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:34 PM.

1. Guzzy

Guzzy New Member

We've been in a camping spot for about a week now and we are having really bad problems with bugs getting in our camper. I've been camping in PuPs for over 20 years and never seen anything like this. Particularly bad this year are the earwigs and Gypsy Moth caterpillars. I'm not talking a few, I'm talking like several per day. Any tips/ideas on how to further bug proof my PuP? I know and expect some bugs in here, but like I said, i've never seen anything like this in 20 years.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Put something they'll like more, outside, away from the camper. :shocked:

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I spray household bug killer around the interior like at home. Also in the interior corners of the roof where the canvas makes the turn. My coleman had a big gap there so filled it with a piece of foam and coated it in bug killer. Also spray anything that touches the ground and the under carriage. Don't have a bug problem and I've recently camped in the Okefenokee swamp.

Orchid likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have the DW sit outside, the bugs love her and the fresh meat :) We live in Fl. and bugs are a way of life, citronella candles help and Deet works, however nothing is safe from the no-seeums they can go thru regular screen and the really fine screen stops the air flow. AC does help while inside. If you come up with a fool proof method that really works please let the rest of us know.

Goforit likes this.
  5. Goforit

Goforit New Member

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Put off a bug bomb in there and leave for a few hours. I do this at home, but it's too late for that. Even though you won't be able to still smell it, the residue will keep bugs away for a month or so.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My main problem areas was like mentioned in the far upper corners of the roof where the canvas almost always leaves a huge gap under the eves of the camper. I once counted 200 stink bugs in my camper once. My poor niece could not sleep inside until every last one of them was gone and of corse I had no vacuum with me. So to say that left me a VERY long night manually trying to remove them. Go around your camper and look for all the gaps and try and stuff them with whatever you can find. Some areas are way worse than others.