Building a Bed Step

Enz0

Mar 22, 2021
Kansas City
Hello,

Was looking to see if anyone has built steps to get up into one of the fold out beds.
My floor plan has a gap of space that is somewhat wasted, whose only purpose, from what I can guess, is to facilitate getting into and out of bed.

I have a toddler and lets just say it's one big step. So, I was thinking about building a couple steps that either have flip open stair treads or pull out drawers for more storage and would double as making the ascent and decent a little easier/safer. To that end, I didn't know if someone has maybe done this already?

If so, I invite any pictures or stories of success and/or works in progress.
And, I'm open to any suggestions even if you haven't done it yourself.

Thanks

20210429_155224.jpg

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I made an upholstered padded lid for my milk crate to use as a pantry/step in my truck camper. I'd planned something more elaborate but wondered where I'd put my milk crate if I put in a step.

Campgrandma

Feb 4, 2021
Cibolo, TX
You have enough room there to build a deep step with some storage space underneath. Just be sure to anchor the step to some side supports to keep it secure.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
That spot is a good fit for my tackle box. Got the boys each there very own that I'm slowly stocking up for Christmas. Nothing nearly as big, but nice starter boxes.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Pretty much what I want. Also a single step in the back. I want to stain it to match the existing wood on the camper. Have also considered making the dinette bench extend across to the sofa and opening the storage all the way across.