1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

This thread is "What did you do to your camper this month?" Well, in my case, it's not so much what I did to my camper this month, but what others did to my tow vehicle this month.
    My truck was parked in my driveway while I was working in my garage with the big door down due to the strong wind blowing. The keys were in my pocket and I believe the truck doors were locked. I heard it start up and drive away rather fast and went outside to have a look. Sure enough, two young kids , age 16 and 17, some how got into my truck with a key and drove off. I have video surveillance cameras so I went to have a look while at the same time calling the police. The video showed two individuals in hoodies walking up to my truck and doing something to the door lock for a few seconds. Then getting in and driving a way.

The police report was made and filed within 20 minutes of the event. Three hours later a Highway Patrol car spotting my truck with three kids in it driving down the main road in Mojave California some 17 miles away. He tried to stop them, but they took off in a high speed chase. Can you imagine a Ford Ranger trying to outrun a Police car? It didn't end well for my truck. The 16 year-old driver, with no driver's license, lost control and crash into a telephone pole and then rolled the truck 2 or 3 times before crashing into a building.

The police think that a duplicate key was made at a shop where I had just had the truck in for service. I just last week got the truck out of the shop where I had a new Limited-Slip differential installed. $1,600.00 down the drain, not to mention my truck. Yesterday I went to the wrecking yard to get my personal things out of the "Totaled" truck". Inside of the wreckage I found numerous items of Drug paraphernalia, include a bag of "Weed" and several Crack pipes.

Needless to say, I won't be camping for a while.

Attached Files:

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

"Take a trip and never leave the farm!"

-Jim Stafford

Grandpa Don, eoleson1 and kcsa75 like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Grandpa Don - they must have noted your address too when they made the duplicate. Sorry that happened. Here is ABQ, vehicle theft is rampent, so it is a bit of a concern for us, since ours live outside.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sorry to hear. I hope you'll be able to replace the truck with your insurance settlement.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Sorry to see this. Keep your chin up. Better days are ahead.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Wow, three odd things
    1, stealing in broad daylight
    2, duplicate key - isn't it a smart key and has a chip in it
    3, How do the cops not find the weed and paraphernalia

Hope the insurance covers the truck

Orchid, Grandpa Don and neighbormike like this.
  7. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Wow seems like most crimes are committed by drugged kids and they want to legalize marijuana in New Mexico. Hope you called the cops and told them what you found.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

It destroys a persons trust with those we should trust. Hopefully the kids are ok and insurance takes the sting out of losing the truck

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

People suck.

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

That's a nice clear picture of the idiots! What system do you have? I've been wanting to get a surveillance system but I have delayed because I always question the clarity of some of the systems.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Orchid and neighbormike like this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That is down right scary. Broad daylight and all. I hope they also figure out who made the duplicate key and remove him from the shop if it wasn't one of those kids in the car.

kitphantom likes this.
  12. Grandpa Don

I hope so too. I now have nothing to tow the camper with. I do have theft insurance, and they are collecting reports and other documentation for the settlement. I have no idea what I will get.

13. Grandpa Don

It certainly appears that the truck was targeted. You can not see my garage door from around those trees on the right. Yet they came down the street and never even looked up to see if the door was open. They just went directly to the truck door. My security cameras recorded the whole event in HD video.

14. Grandpa Don

I have four Swann video cameras mounedt in different locations around the house. It also records to a video recorder that can store up to the last 45 days of activity. I have it set for motion activation only. Once the hard drive fills up, it will record in a loop by deleting the very oldest clip. So it never runs out of space. It also has infrared night vision that works pretty well, but not as good as the daylight clips. I think I paid around $225.00 for the whole system at Best Buy about two years ago. I can also monitor the system and cameras from anywhere with the App on my cellphone.

Orchid, neighbormike and BikeNFish like this.
  15. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

To be fair, the behavior of these kids...
    -the driver’s decision to try and outrun the police
    - stealing the car in broad day light (w/o even looking to see if the garage door was open! Per Don.)
    Sounds like the irrational hyped up high of crack or meth, not the opposite effect of a pot high. Like police have been reported to say, “they never get called to break up a fight/brawl between pot smokers!” LOL

Orchid likes this.
  16. Grandpa Don

Yes, it was reported. And the truck has been recovered as you can see in the first post photos.

17. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a brazen theft. Then again, brains and trains, when God was passing out brains, they thought He said trains and asked for an extra slow one. Hopefully you can recoup the money on your truck. Good Luck!!

Grandpa Don likes this.
  18. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi @Grandpa Don ,

This is sad and sorry to hear this happened to you! Were you able to pursue if your suspicion is correct, meaning the duplicate was made in the shop you had it serviced? The police may be able to get some statements from the kids who did this or had any connection to any person at the shop? Just thinking. Again sorry for this - sad thing as you said, not being able to camp until you get another car!

All the best!

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Those were my first thoughts as well.

If they had weed, it was to use later to chill out once they got out in the desert. No way was marijuana involved in this crime. If they would have smoked it first, they would have still been home, watching a movie or playing a video game. Guaranteed. I hate when marijuana gets a bad rep from people who use hard drugs and do stupid things!

It needs to be legal everywhere. Alcohol causes problems and it's legal. Marijuana doesn't cause problems, even when smoked, it's only because it's still illegal in places that it gets any attention at all from law enforcement.

davekro and NMroamer like this.
  20. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

Glad your pop up wasn't hitched up when they stole it! You can still camp, although not as rustically as you may like...