1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

There wasn't time for them to get high on what ever that stuff was. It looked like Parsley to me. I don't know the difference. I have no experience with that stuff. Maybe they were just going to a Cook-out! But there was several odd looking pipes in the truck. One was a big ass sucker made of rubber and had definitely been used recently. The other two were much smaller. I've been told that they were Crack pipes. But again, I have no experience with drugs at all. Never used it and never been around it. Not even in Vietnam during the war.

2. Grandpa Don

They would have had a Hell of a time moving my Pup. The tongue is locked, the stabilizers are down and the tires are removed. It's up on Jack stands now.

FzzyFyl likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sorry for the loss, it seems that nothing is safe these days, especially if you live in a larger city but these days nothing (or very little) is done to the culprits. Hopefully you will get enough out of the settlement with the ins. co. I hope y'all are "back on the camping trail shortly.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  4. Grandpa Don

Thanks, I am negotiating with a Ford dealer now for a 2011 Ranger. My old one was 2007 with a 3.0 engine. It was okay on power, but could have used a little more on the steep hills. I just can't afford to buy new. The one I'm negotiating for has a 4.0 engine with a lot less miles than the old one. We'll see.

Kyle R Thorson and 1380ken like this.
  5. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Having experience with the 3.0 and 4.0, I can attest you will appreciate the difference in power.

Good Luck.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You might want to check and see if the rear end will work on the new truck

7. Grandpa Don

More power would be great. Did you have any major problems with the 4.0?

8. Grandpa Don

I thought about that. But the insurance company took possession of the wrecked truck. After I removed all of my personal items they hauled the truck off to some other location in southern California. They said that if I took the diff off the truck I would have to replace it with another one before it left. Besides, I'm not sure a Limited-Slip diff would work in the new truck. The new one comes with something called "Traction Control", and even has a push button on the dash to arm and dis-arm it. I"m not sure how that works, but guess I'll find out. does anyone here know how that works? I don't think it is a "Locker".

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Traction control senses a wheel slipping and uses the ABS (antilock brake) system to brake that wheel so that the other wheel can provide power (otherwise all the power would go to the spinning wheel). It's been around for about as long as antilock brakes have.

10. Grandpa Don

Then it sounds a lot like a Limited-slip diff. And probably works the same way. I didn't have it on my 2007 Ranger, but the new one does have it. I also have it on my 2014 Ford Focus. But I don't think I've ever seen it in action.

11. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry I didn’t get on here sooner, short answer is no with either.

The 3.0 is in my Ranger, currently entrusted to my son. Still going strong with approximately 231K on it.

The 4.0 was in my Explorer. Was still running very well at about 125K when it got totaled in a snowstorm. Only thing replaced on it was some vapor module thingy associated with the fuel system, and that was under warranty. Had it not been totaled, I’m sure I’d still have it.

Professionally, we have had several Explorers and a couple Rangers in our fleet over the years with the 4.0. Overall they were/are all good performers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  12. Grandpa Don

Well, I'm back in the saddle again. I was able to purchase a 2010 Ranger XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 engine. It was the best I could do with the funds I had on hand. It is in really good shape inside and out. But there are a few little things I have to do to it. Things like, a couple of the dash lights aren't working and the automatic gear shift selector is a little sloppy. I have a new shift tube to install when I get the time. Today I installed the 7-pin connector on the rear bumper. It has the tow package but only had the little 4-pin plug. Tomorrow I will install the Electric brake wiring harness and charge line. It was just too cold out there to do it today. The camper is still under the cover to protect it from all of the wind and rain we have been having. I'm hoping to make the first trip with the new truck within the next couple of weekends. It might just be a quick over-nighter, but that will do for now. That 4.0 really does get up and go!

Attached Files:

13. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice looking truck. May the ‘To Do’s go smoothly!

Grandpa Don likes this.
  14. Grandpa Don

On Monday, I got the the 7-pin plug installed and ran the charge line. Then it started raining...again! So I had to quit for the day. I hope to get the electric brake system hooked up before next Saturday. I'm going to try and get the wheels back on the camper and re-install the battery before Friday. I hope to take her out this weekend. I'm going to purposely go over Walker Pass just to see how that 4.0 engine does. I plan on spending the night in Lake Isabella and then coming back home the next day.

I also managed to install a battery to winch disconnect switch. I can now raise the top and then remove the 12vdc line from the winch only.

15. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

FYI, there are 2 torx bolts at the bottom of the column that connect the shifter tube to the shift cable arm. They always come loose making a sloppy shifter. Lock-tite and retorque them first before you disassemble the column to replace the tube.

16. Grandpa Don

Yes, thanks for the advice. But in my case, the square rubber gromit on the end of the shift lever had deteriorated and slid out of position. I just received a new one that I ordered online. In the meantime I just placed two tie wraps around it to hold it in for now. I had a similar problem with my 2007 Ranger. I ordered the tube assembly before I took it apart. After I took it apart I found out that all that was wrong was a pin that fell out. But since I had the new part I installed the whole tube anyway.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  17. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Good looking truck! Enjoy and Happy camping!

Grandpa Don likes this.
  18. Grandpa Don

My camping trip for this weekend is now officially called off. Our Governor just placed a state-wide lock down on all 40 million people living here. We are not supposed to leave the house for anything other than the essentials like grocery stores Pharmacies and essential work positions. My job is an essential work position, but I'm off from work for the next 5 days anyway. These are very interesting times for sure...!

19. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

You are in the middle of nowhere. Just hook it up and drive around some of the empty roads in the area to see how it tows.

Grandpa Don likes this.