Bumper hitch??

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by KPJ&assoc, Jul 18, 2020.

1. KPJ&assoc

KPJ&assoc New Member

5BC70956-A9FD-46B6-BB1F-A845935EDDA7.jpeg 939AAEFA-CABF-4476-A6BD-4FA0A4DE7D54.jpeg 939AAEFA-CABF-4476-A6BD-4FA0A4DE7D54.jpeg Any suggestions for a bumper hitch adapter for our 2018 Somerset?? The size of the bumper is 6x2 which turns out is an odd size. Want to use our hitch mounted bike rack. The google hasn’t helped:)

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

That bumper is not going to support a hitch or a bike rack. You will need to come up with a different plan I’m afraid.

3. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

I went with a 18" long 2" hitch receiver welded by a co-worker who's a fabricator, to the bumper and rear frame for my rear cargo holder/box setup.
    I then ran 1-1/2" angle iron 13/16" in thickness welded in a Y cross brace back to my boxed main camper frame.
    Be mindful that my unit is a toyhauler so I have a 6" boxed center frame that runs forward under the entire unit & C-channel outer framing to complete the design.
    Not all pups have the solid box frame to weld to.
    Here's some pics....
    Oh I also added a receiver hitch clamp to prevent any sway or movement in the cargo carrier. I can verify....it doesn't move...at all.
    Hope this helps

My2cents

Attached Files:

xxxapache and Blackripley like this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Short straight answer.. No.. Don't think about hanging a hitch off the rear bumper as 1 the bumpers are NOT designed for it.. 2 the added weight to the back of the trailer will unload the tongue of weight and induce sway.

Now with that said... if you really want to put a hitch back there, it has to be welded into the main frame rails, bumper re enforced and all the weight being added has to be offset with weight added to the tongue to keep that 10-15% tongue weight to reduce sway.

5. RonDad

RonDad New Member

I really wanted to figure out how to rack 4 bikes on the rear bumper until I read this. Good info.