Bumpers and bike racks

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by RockyRoo, Mar 11, 2013.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Well Jayco and Starcraft definitely have a weaker joint than mine does. There is no bottom support at all. I can see why they would limit the weight you can put on them. I am not sure I would even want to put a spare tire on them

2. Livin2Camp

Livin2Camp New Member

just a thought...
    does anybody worry about the damage lose bike parts or bumper parts might do to a vehicle (or a person) traveling behind your camper ?
    I look at it this way....auto insurance companies are becoming so strict about what they will cover and won't cover, I would be afraid that my auto insurance wouldn't cover damage/injuries done to another vehicle/person if I placed something on the back of my camper that the maker of the camper clearly states is a no-no.
    If the bikes/rack are properly mounted on my vehicle, I would think any damages/injuries caused would be covered under my auto insurance.
    I'm far from being rich and can't afford any type of lawsuit....

3. xshield

xshield New Member

4. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

unfortunately, this won't work with a WDH and this is being talked about in relation to hybrids, which usually require using a WDH.

5. RockyRoo

Thanks everyone for your input, but let me clarify a few things to consider in your arguments and future suggestions which I would love to hear still.

1. My bumper is made differently than any other bumper I have seen on the market. I have been on many lots over the past couple weeks, looked at just about every manufacturer from hybrids thru the largest 5'ers, and I have not seen a single bumper/frame combination made like mine. My question is not a generic question about every other trailer and typical bumper, it is in regard to the bumper in the pictures.

2. If my bumper can't handle over 100 pounds, why did Rockwood include a step with the trailer so my 240 pound butt can stand on it to release the latches on the beds?

3. My TV is 1 of 2 Suburbans as noted in my signiature line. I am 6'2", not 8 ft. My bikes are not likely to go on the roof.

4. xshield, thank you for the idea, I actually looked into something like that, but it will not work on my hitch.

5. Thanks Bikendan, you are correct, this is not a pup we are talking about, it's a 24 ft hybrid with a Blue Ox weight distributing hitch.

6. Last time it was on a CAT scale the tongue weighed in at 780 pounds, I'm not even close to worried about negative tongue weight.

Again, I would love to hear thoughts, these are the perameters within which I am working.

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

That would be the safest way to go IMHO.

7. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

[quote author=RockyRoo

2. If my bumper can't handle over 100 pounds, why did Rockwood include a step with the trailer so my 240 pound butt can stand on it to release the latches on the beds?

[/quote]

Very good point roo

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

8. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

There is a big difference in a direct force on the top of the bumper and a continuous flexing and bouncing force which, over time, will exert a higher fatigue rate. If you can figure out a way to stop the way the bumper racks bounce and flex, then I would have more faith in them. You also still have to unload the bikes before you can setup the rear bunk.
    In regards to height, I'm only 5'9" and I never had any issues mounting bikes on the roof rack on my trailblazers. I had an M-Van before the SUVs and I did have to make a step that slid under the seat next to the sliding door to mount the centermost bike. I do not have to unload or move the bikes at all to setup the PUP or unload the TV.
    My old SUV setup with four bikes mounted. No step ladder needed:
    [​IMG]

9. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

i think you're missing the point of the physics of what bouncing bikes/rack will do, which is completely different than this.

but, if a receiver is welded and braced to the frame AND bumper, you should be o.k.
    i just dislike having bikes where i can't see them, don't like the risk and don't want to void my frame's warranty.
    that's why i suggest other options.

10. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

Dan is right . . . virtually all of the hybrids out there have a light weight frame that has no shocks therefore the frame must flex when travelling. Adding a cantilevered weight of a bike rack on the bumper is a significant amount of stress when the frame has to flex . . . big difference from just stepping on the bumper to get to the bed latches.

I went through this same exercise last year and came to a slightly different conclusion . . . why not a front hitch on your vehicle and the bike rack there? I like to be able to see the bikes when driving and you don't have to worry about the height and cost of a roof rack. All total, I have about $200 in front hitch and simple 4 bike rack.

[​IMG]

11. BigBaron

What's your gas mileage now?

12. RockyRoo

About 8 mpg with trailer

13. bholmesr

bholmesr New Member

This is an interesting post, I was considering adding a hitch to my TT haven't had time to look at the frame as of yet. But I do like the idea of the front mounted hitch might have to consider that option as well.

14. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Rocky, While your rear bumper is attached well, just as mine is on my 23SS, It is the grade and gauge of steel used in the bumper that concerns me, and this is why I am doing a frame mount hitch on the back of mine if it will fit. I have stab jacks and waste tanks in the rear.

Also the added plus of pulling my utility trailer with the quad on it if I want to.

15. BigBaron

I wanted to know what NHeer is getting with that cluster of bikes on the front...

Your rig would cost me a buck a mile here! :eek:

16. RockyRoo

I was looking at that option but I am thinking it probably wouldn't work. There are ways to custom make them, but I doubt you will be able to use one off the if your stabs are mounted like mine are. Mine are very close to the end of the frame. I suppose they could be moved forward if I wanted to, but someone would have to reweld them, at which point you are getting very close to the black tank.

17. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Rocky,

I don't know, I haven't seen my trailer since Mid October 2012. Its in my friends barn 30 miles away. You got me thinking I want to take a drive just to go see the trailer, I mean check out the jacks in the back.

18. bondebond

bondebond New Member

To the point 96Rockwood made in Reply # 33, the welds indeed may be strong enough and the frame members may be strong enough but the bumper itself may NOT strong enough. There have been some lucky people that have gotten by.

Here is evidence of one who did not get by.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the full-size original photo, but if you could look closely, you can see that the welds are intact. Look at the square tube bumper and you'll notice two rectangular holes in the bumper where it used to be attached to the frame members. The bumper is still partially attached on the road-side. The ends of the frame still have the portion of the bumper attached at the welds. The bumper just peeled away from just outside the weld joints. Poor quality bumpers are quite prevalent, and this was on a TT, not a PUP.

Read more here without the pictures. He added what many would consider minimal weight to the bumper.

19. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

On the flats on the east coast of the US I usually get around 11 to 12 mpg fully loaded . . . . when driving in the mountains, closer to 8 mpg. The bikes don't seem to affect the mpg . . . . it's the trailer that does! It's the one thing I miss about my pup.

NHeer

20. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

the extremely minor air resistance of front-mounted bikes, would only a trace reduction of gas mileage.
    as NHeer said, the "barn door" front of the trailer, is the biggest factor in towing gas mileage. more than weight or bikes in the front.

many new trailer owners freak out about extra weight of carrying 400lbs. of water and how that will affect gas mileage. so they have empty FW tanks.
    that's like saying two large passengers will significantly reduce your vehicle's gas mileage. it will only affect a fraction of it.
    same goes for a full FW tank.

when we tow our Roo 23SS with a full FW tank and then an empty one, we see NO difference in gas mileage.
    the only time it makes sense to not carry the water, is if you are towing with a marginal tow vehicle, like a minivan.