Bungee on aliner has a loose screw

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
20210401_143303.jpg 20210401_143143.jpg so this is what holds the 2 screws in place for the bungee cord, the screw is stripped and not sure if I should use a larger screw or a pop rivet, or neither. I asked on another site, and the moderator is out camping, lucky him. So, what say anybody? Have any experience with things like this. I am going to wait for his answer as well, but the answer he gave another person was one of these 2, a little bit different question but quite similar. Thanks.

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
raised head machine screw plus nut on the other side, preferably a nylon-locking nut (it's really metal) - nut on the outside, screw head on the inside
So, do you speak from experience? I can't tell you how sad it made me, just trying to clean up and then I noticed the bungee just hanging there, were so inexperienced with campers, and it's a bit unnerving to lift and put up and down. Thanks so much for your help. What do you mean by nut on the outside, and screw on the inside, I can't quite picture what you mean.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Susan, have a picture of what it supost to look like? And i forget what camper you have? Is thos for the lift thing on the a liner? If so like Anthony said, a nut and bolt to secure it, if you can put a peice of metal on the inside, a backer plate.

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
raised head machine screw plus nut on the other side, preferably a nylon-locking nut (it's really metal) - nut on the outside, screw head on the inside
Nope, it's on the bottom, and there is no way to attach a nut, but, I do appreciate your idea. I asked John Phil as well, his idea was sound, pop rivet, but we've never done that, there is the dealer who sells alinets who uses a couple of mechanics so I'm willing to do that, my do doesn't like the thought of driving 75 miles up, back, up and back again, but I don't know what else to do. We've bought a slew of screws that do not work, I'd rather have someone else do it. Bummed.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
FYI A "machine screw" is like a tiny bolt that passes all the way through all the things being clamped together. The bungee anchor is an incredibly easy fix, as long as you can drill a hole; its not worthy of a trip to a mechanic (unless you are not handy at all).

Sweetpea

Mar 31, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
Well, not being handy isn't really the issue, but It must not be the same as yours, I don't know they all seem different. And it looks more like a wood screw. Anyway, I'd rather have someone more qualified than us. The screws we bought, 6 different ones, didn't fit, they went in and seemed stripped still. Or, they were too big and it seemeed like it might make the hole too big. I'm just a worrier.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
as I said, the solution to a stripped thread hole is to drill the hole all the way thru and put a threaded fastener thru the entire assembly, head on one side, nut on the other side. Its a positive connection that will not dome loose.

the term Machine Screw generally refers to a fastener threaded along all its length, a true bolt is mostly smooth-shanked with a modest amount of thread on one end and the bolt head on the other head.

Machine screws are cropping up in larger sizes and being used when bolts should be used.