Bunk bedding what do you use?

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Memory foam topper and real sheets and comforter. We used a queen comforter for our king bunks and slept front to back to avoid crawling over each other.

IndyRick

Mar 7, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
We use sheets & comforter on top, and an air mattress underneath our Teady Bear mattresses. We leave the pillows on top, too, but move them to the middle. We carefully use a paint roller on an extension pole to be sure the canvas is pushed in as far and evenly as possible. We used the empty tissue box crush test to make shure we had space for everything.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Sheets with a washable comforter, always. Have fluffy fleece blanket for the dogs, too, on the other bunk if necessary. I do not leave any bedding in the PUP between trips. Just strip it all off, put it in a bag, goes into tow vehicle to go straight into washing machine when I get home. In Florida, everything made of cloth (and much made of other stuff, too) mildews if left in the great outdoors, away from air conditioning. Not sure why the mattress doesn't mildew; or at least, I pray it isn't moldy on the inside. No Memory foam topper; I like a firm bed. Memory foam makes you sleep 'hotter' too, did you know?

4xMeteor

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2012
Georgia
Use to use 2 sleeping bag zipped together, then switched to sheets and quilts. We could have the bed fully made and still close the top - however, it was a bit tight. Once we got home, we had to popup to empty, so we left the bedding on when traveling.

lot_lizard

Aug 18, 2019
We pulled the existing mattress pads altogether and replaced with 3 layers (totals ~4 inches):
  • Memory foam 3” topper
  • Heated throw blanket sandwiched that is only used on cold evenings but amazing when on
  • Carpet pad
With the above, we have 2 queens with fitted sheets and various blankets depending on seasons as others have mentioned. The blankets come off when storing but sheets stay. Pup top compresses with no issues but I do typically help fold the canvas up during compression more than most I expect. Above configuration would be my limit for a 2017 Jayco SC12

EDIT: just to clarify the above since people are pointing out laundry habits after my post :grin:... we pull the sheets and replace with the spare sets before closing up. My brain wants less time getting started vs less time closing up. Like others have mentioned.. white sheets are the way to go for a variety of reasons!!

Last edited:

rosieposie7

Jun 11, 2020
we too use sheets. Actually white fitted sheets. So I can bleach them when home. 4 kids if you can get what I'm saying :) I use the ikea bags for storage, for all the linens. They work great for transferring from washing, to pup and storage. While camping, the blankets and pillows on top make the thin mattress bearable for my picky sleeper husband.

I've tried to lower my pup with all the sheets and comforter, and it didn't work, and rain seemed to seep in. So we aborted that idea.

Roughing It!

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone use actual sheets and comforter on their bunks? If so do you have enough clearance when you lower the top of your pup?

I purchased new mattresses for the bunks. I got futon mattresses. They are so nice but are thicker than the original mattresses. When we lowered the pup roof we really had to press extra on the roof to close it. Am I harming the roof?
I also got the brilliant idea to order “bed in a bag” sets for each bunk so we would not have to bring sheets and blankets from home.....But now I’m worried how to store the comforters during travel. Any ideas? Was thinking of those compression bags as seen on tv. Help!

I bought egg crate foam toppers for my original mattresses and m pads from Ikea. I use the correct size fitted sheets and one size down on the flat sheets and comforters to prevent all the unnecessary overhang. I bring all my bedding home except for the egg crate foam toppers. My top closes fine leaving the egg crates on in between trips. After i wash my bedding i put each beds bedding in those large clear plastice comforter bags. Good luck!

Moo

Jul 12, 2020
Denver, Colorado, USA
Does anyone use actual sheets and comforter on their bunks? If so do you have enough clearance when you lower the top of your pup?

I purchased new mattresses for the bunks. I got futon mattresses. They are so nice but are thicker than the original mattresses. When we lowered the pup roof we really had to press extra on the roof to close it. Am I harming the roof?
I also got the brilliant idea to order “bed in a bag” sets for each bunk so we would not have to bring sheets and blankets from home.....But now I’m worried how to store the comforters during travel. Any ideas? Was thinking of those compression bags as seen on tv. Help!
We use an inflatable mattress and normal sheets and bedding. When we are ready to tear down we deflate the mattress and everything fits nicely.

elino

Aug 3, 2020
Does anyone use actual sheets and comforter on their bunks? If so do you have enough clearance when you lower

Queen Fitted Sheet Only - Stretch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086QJD3WX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I ordered these for my queen and full and they fit good.

Pommom70

Sep 6, 2018
Ohio
We also use sheets, but I take them off & wash before the next trip. The blankets go into the stow area in the dinette. We put the mattresses from both bunks on one which is enough softness.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Two parts to answer - first, it would be useful to know how much you are having to push down to close the roof. For those contemplating changing mattresses, it is helpful to do the tissue box test first. That is putting an empty tissue box or something of similar weight, on the bed platform, closing the roof, then opening it again. The height of the box, now squished, is the space you have to work with for a mattress, and anything left on it.
With our campers, we sometimes had to slightly push once we added memory foam toppers, but usually walking away and letting gravity do the work was sufficient. When we had a very cold weather trip, in the 20s as we packed up, the foam mattress and topper were stiff, as were the vinyl roof and windows, so that took a little more encouragement.
Too much stress needed to force a roof to close could eventually damage something. Even with our setup in the second popup, the door handle (door stored on the ceiling) left an impression in the memory foam.

As for bedding, we have used sleeping bags, then bedding. We could not leave any bedding on the beds, except for a mattress pad. We found we much preferred sheets and blankets, after years of sleeping bags while ground tenting. We use flannel sheets year round, and for camping, polar fleece blankets in a couple of weights (we have 100 and 200 wt). I have also made quilts for camping. two with flannel backs and wool batting. (I have a summer weight one in progress.) We can adjust to current temp easier than with sleeping bags.

CTloRIDER

Jul 22, 2020
Whew ..... so glad to hear you all use sheets and blankets. I’ll try the compression bags to start since we don’t have a dinette ( original owner took it out) so extra floor space will be used for storing them. At least bags will keep them cleaner and dry. I’ll see how creased the canvas is when we open up camper this week. It has been closed for few weeks since my son and family are in quarantine because my grandson is running fever. Waiting for COVID test results. Hoping it comes back negative.
Prayers to you.

momofEAP

Jan 24, 2015
Newton, KS
We are currently in the middle of a remodel but in the past we have used sheets and blankets.

We put the anti-fatigue mats then the mattress. On top of the mattress we have an egg crate foam, mattress cover, fitted sheet. When camping we add the top sheet and a blanket or two (depending on weather). We strip the beds as we are closing up for the trip home. Once home the sheets go straight into the washer and once laundered back onto the beds. (We have never had problems with leaking through the roof.) Hopefully we will still use the same system on all the beds once we finish putting her back together in a week or so.

arge

Feb 27, 2018
Calgary, Ab
All, discussing about sheets, I put over the mattress and also using over the gaucho bed these impermeable sheets for kids. Just to think about this regardless if you have or not kids. Got them quite cheap from Amazon

PathfinderESP

Jul 9, 2020
Maryland
Sheets and blankets live in a plastic crate that goes inside home for washing between trips
bunks have a mattress protector on each to keep them nice.
Pillows live in the camper and are useful padding between plastic crates of food, books, arc that we carry on the floor

wusthof

Apr 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
After we did the kleenex box trick, we went with a 3" memory foam topper. It is harder to close but so dang worth it. We use "normal" style household blankets top n bottom. Will take out the memory foams out when the season ends to have that ultra tight seal for the winter

Agaragon

Nov 23, 2015

We tried the puzzle foam under our factory mattress...we didn't feel it helped. I bought 2 or 3 inch toppers from Ikea and another from Walmart (doubles each side)...work great! My wife puts sheets on before we travel but pulls them out during storage. We both use sleeping bags but store them in the car when traveling. The toppers and sheets do make it a little harder to close top but the latches are adjustable. We did notice part of the fabric on our roof is wrinkled but we don't mind since the trailer is pretty old (1995).

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
I use a bottom sheet to protect the mattress from the debris and dust of camping. But on top of that we use inexpensive WalMart full sized sleeping bags. In cold weather we bring along some blankets to go on top of the sleeping bags. At the end of the trip we'll remove and wash any that we used. It just seems to be the simplest solution for us, and the least amount of prep time.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
We tried the puzzle foam under our factory mattress...we didn't feel it helped.

For us the puzzle foam helped with hip pressure points in the event you bottomed out a little. We didn’t have room for 5” of toppers, best we could do was 2” I think (been a while so memory is a little fuzzy). I am also a big guy, and my hips were always sore when tent camping unless I got just the right amount of air in the sleeping pad. It also helped when I moved to a cot and placing a foam pad underneath as well. Same thing when we first got the pup - first night in it, I was sore all over. Added the topper, huge improvement. Added the foam, damn near perfect for me. If you are 200 lbs or less you may not need the foam like I did, and newer pups have better mattresses, some with springs even. Mine was all foam, so not much support.