Bunk Bracket Stripped Right Out of Bunk End!

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by JunkyBurrittos, Jul 28, 2020.

1. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Closing up our hybrid from our Chevy-Chase-esque camping trip in which just about everything broke (including the AC going into a stretch 95 degrees and 100% humidity aahhhh) the bracket to hold the front bunk up when closed ripped right out of the wood as we tried to close it up. Presumably dry rot? I've got to get a tall ladder and investigate. Luckily the bracket on the opposite side held and we were able to make it home. We were hoping and praying the whole way home that we didn't have a similar integrity issue on that other side.

I know I have to get this fixed before rains come and seep into the exposed crack of canvas. I'm not sure what to do... maybe wood filler or something? I need to fill in those holes and somehow get that bracket screwed back in there.

Has anyone else experienced an issue with their brackets breaking off their hybrids?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not good at all. Pictures please, i dont have a hybrid to look at for suggestions. Can you add a metel plate to the inside and bolt through it? So , metal plate, camper wood, outside bracket, and like a carage bolt through the whole thing.

neighbormike and JunkyBurrittos like this.
  3. JunkyBurrittos

Hi Spencer, thank you for your help. Sorry it took a while to play around with getting pictures on here since I can't seem to get them directly from my phone to the site. Hopefully this works now... Aaahhh!! 37 steps later, still won't add the pics. Desktop version gives me the option of uploading but getting error messages.

Ok here's the only way I know how to do this... pics are located in this Google folder, if you don't mind checking here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AlSKX-ljlEKEZeCmgiAfNlzkk8aUli79?usp=sharing

I didn't open the bunk end yet although there shouldn't be anything visible from the inside, as that would disrupt the sleeping platform. Please let me know if you need to see more!

Donna

4. JunkyBurrittos

Hi all... please note that this is a HYBRID question -- admins moved it out of the hybrid section and into the bunk end question, so it just won't make sense if you are attempting to answer this from a pop up perspective. Looking for help from those with hybrid experience. Thank you!

neighbormike likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

I have 0 experience in hybrids. But if the wood isnt wet, it dosent look to be soaked. I would try the backer plate and carage bolts. You bed is on the other side, so the carrage bolt is kind of rounded on that side, and bolt it down through the inside plate , the wood and the outside bracket. Then caulk it. Others may have better ideas. Glue might work, like an epoxy and then drill it and redue the bolts but will not be as strong. I would say gorilla glue, but it may expand to much and push the shape out of wack. Wait to see if a yone else has a better idea. But i think the plate thing is the best.

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  6. JunkyBurrittos

Thanks Spencer. Yes the plate idea might be the most sound, although I don't love drilling fully through the wood, even if I'm caulking, as I think I may be inviting leaks down the road. I'm so out of my element with this stuff. I'm hoping someone might have some experience with this... I can't be the only one that ever had a problem can I? :eek:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Unfortunately, the wood is compromised, so glue will work but for how long, could be forever. Could be weeks. You could try that also. I figure its allready peirced, so if it goes all the way through it makes little difference to the water. Main thing is the caulk, and seal it good.

8. JunkyBurrittos

SJM I'm so happy I moved up out of my pop up so I wouldn't have problems any more. ;)[LOL][LOL][LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Lol, always problems no matter what. I figure when im dead an burried I'll relax.no such thing as free or easy in life. Wish it wasn't that way but at least you get the credit when you fix something or it goes right. And its worth it in the end.