Bunk end and Storage ??

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Tena Dechambre, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Tena Dechambre

Tena Dechambre New Member

Wondering what is better or if it doesn't really matter.

Guide lines that hold the bunk end or the stabilizing bars that go under the bunks?

Second question is the clipper and viking trailers have front storage that slides left and right for access. Has anyone ever have issues with the slide part of this getting worn out or damaged in travel?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Not quite sure what you mean?

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I'm probably old school here, but I'd rather have the braces under the bunkend vrs two spindly wires holding the bunk. The braces at least are attached to the frame and in my mind stronger.

Can't speak for the front truck with the drawer because mine does not have the drawer. I do love that front truck though. I only put my outside gear in there except my tool box I keep by the door. So I don't need to access the trunk much during camp as it gets pulled out prior to set up.

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

like Popup Steve, I am not sure what you are asking about as i have not seen a popup camper with guide lines for support; all the ones i have seen have had under bed brace supports. And i don't think that there is enough structure in the popup to be able to use wires anyway.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. jmkay1

. I believe it was only Viking that tried to do away with the typical bed brace and use a cable support system instead, kind of like hybrids. At least on the one model I looked at. I don't think it took off though because I believe they went back to regular supports after.

6. Tena Dechambre

Tena Dechambre New Member

Screenshot 2019-10-15 08.03.50.png Coachman line has them so Viking and Clipper are the two I'm looking at.
    Here is a photo you can see in the bunk window the white cable line that holds the bed up without the use of support poles.

campfire Joe and HappyTraveler like this.
  7. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Like you I have concerns about the cable support bunks. Now in the process of buying a Viking with the metal support poles outside.
    2018 Viking 2308 STLS.

8. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

We camped last summer next to a family that had a newer Viking popup. The bunk ends were sagging on both sides and I assumed they just didn't know to put the poles in. We started talking and they told me that the design had those cables and no poles but that the sag was noticeable and frustrating.

If it were me, I would get one that has the bunk support poles underneath.

9. jmkay1

My concern with a cable is 1. Cable could stretch over time and 2 if that roof was to leak it could compromise the integrity and strength of the roof,aka that cable could pull out or crack the roof. Me personally wouldn't trust a cable especially on a popup roof.

FARfetched and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. davekro

davekro Active Member

If mine had cable supports, I would get some 1ā€ dia. Metal conduit and make supports. It would be very easy, for the rear bunk, just grind/cut two slots in the bumper and find/make two brackets to attach to the bottom of the bunk. You could do the same for the (usually) larger bunk in the front with slots into the frame (or like OEM setups have a bracket to accept round pipe ends just behind the ā€˜Vā€™ of the frame near the hitch.

11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

so i guess the cables would attach from the roof - still don't think it would be very stable as compared to the under bed braces. with our previous highwall, our roof could demonstrate some movement (in the wind or putting on the upright roof braces). i would not be happy if the sway of the roof could be felt in the bed.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

While it my very well work, I don't think I'd sleep well in a bunk supported by cables attached to the roof.

13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

No way would I feel comfortable with those wires.

14. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I would also prefer under-bunk supports to those roof-lines. The less strain on a raised roof, the better.

Also, my Rockwood has the slide-out drawer in the front storage trunk. My old Coleman just had the access door. I liked the Coleman setup better, the slide-out drawer loses too much capacity. A future mod on the Rockwood will probably be to remove the drawer and re-brace the storage trunk for direct use.

I rarely need access to the front storage trunk after setup, the only things I keep in there are just inside the side access door and are things like fire starters, citronella fuel and candles, and the dog's tie-out. Everything else in the storage trunk gets taken out during setup... the EZ-up, camp chairs, leveling blocks, tarp, grill, etc.

bheff likes this.
  15. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I took out my full length drawer and the mounting supports. It is a 100 pound weight savings and I have a ton of extra room. This spring I'm going to cut a piece of plywood to size, add some brackets and secure all the different long parts in a nice and clean way.

Dback2k4 and HappyTraveler like this.