Bunk End Cap Replacement

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by MsJayne, Oct 12, 2014.

1. MsJayne

MsJayne Member

Ok, here's a question for all the experienced popup camper peeps. How many curse words, scraped knuckles, yelling spouses will it take to replace these caps with new ones (3 need to be done, but will do all 4)? I have an idea on how we'll have to do it from reading other posts, but just want to see if there are any tips or tricks that I may have missed. I can tell that the hole in the plastic is about twice as large as it should be.

[​IMG]

Come on...be honest. [MOD] [RTM]

2. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I've taken older rails out and assume the newer ones are similar. There are some roll pins that keep the rails from coming out too far. I would guess that you can remove those and extend the slides to gain access to the bolt.

I know it only took about 5 minutes to remove the entire rail if it comes to that. The bed even stayed in without the rail.

4. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

If you pull the bed out slowly, and watch, there are holes in the track of the bed that allow you to get a screwdriver in there to access the screw. Sometimes they have black plastic plugs in them.

I'll be honest, I did all of the flats and wedges on my camper in about an hour.. Not much to it, once you realize that the bed frame has holes in it that line up with the screws.

Also, replace them with the aluminum ones posted above. You'll never mess with them again!

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

^^^^^^
    Ditto. I did most of mine @ 5 weeks ago. @1hr as well, although I left 2 of the plastic wedgies in until they fail. Word of advice on the new aluminum replacements. They are great replacements as they'll never break, but they need a little tweaking before installing.

You've probably noticed some evidence of rubbing with the original plastic wedgies but obviously the plastic wedgie will fail before the metal rail will. A number of members have experienced considerable wear on the aluminum bed rails after installing the aluminum version, probably due to up/down, back/forth motion of the bed wedgies during towing.

The casting's pretty rough so I sanded the wedges down. 1st w. 100 grit, then 150. Smooth as a baby's butt now. Also rounded all the edges a bit. It's important to sand down the sides of the wedges pretty aggressively. All 4 of mine had beveled load surfaces so that the actual area making contact was considerably less than the total, minimizing the area and concentrating the force. Spreading the load out should help along with the UHMW tape I installed on the bed rails. It acts as a replaceable wear surface. It's smooth as glass, pretty durable, and it eliminates the wear issue.

The aluminum bunk end stop needed some modification as well. Maybe I got some bad ones but none would fit properly. Had to sand down the inside faces of the stop so the screw hole would align properly.

6. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Interesting post, ghacker. I never noticed any excessive wear with the aluminum ones, though I removed them from and sold the camper they were on only a few months after installing.

Also, I did not have to modify any of mine to install them. I wonder if you had part of a bad batch?

7. MsJayne

MsJayne Member

Thanks all for the tips! We'll have to check it out and see if we can see the access hole and get them changed. None have broke yet, but they look to be on the verge so we're really careful when pulling out the bunks.

8. 02Cheyenne

02Cheyenne New Member

I just unscrewed one of the plastic rail caps that was broken on our 2007 coleman bayside. The screw came out and the rail slid back about an inch or so and then the nut for the screw dropped out. I'm at a loss on how to get the new cap / screw / nut all back together. There is no access to backside of the rail. Do I now have to take the entire rail off just to get the end cap back on?

9. AMC

AMC Member

10. AMC

AMC Member

Did you ever figure this out? I'm dealing with this now and it has me so frustrated!