Bunk end curtains?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Enz0, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Enz0

Enz0 Member

Has anyone added bunk end curtains to their hybrid and/or do you have any suggestions or ideas for adding them? I'd considered spring tension rods, but they'd hang funny covering part of the dinette bench.

My plan B idea is velcro. Could have it follow the slope of the wall, they would be easy up, easy open, and could be removed for cleaning.

But, before trotting off to JoAnn fabrics I thought I'd see what ideas exist that I'm maybe not considering.

20210324_220818.jpg

Resized_20210324_220839_6729.jpeg

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there, I don’t have a hybrid, but could you somehow use command hooks around the frame of the bunk? If you got kids that may not be the best though.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Spring tension rods, eaither dont have them as low , or cut around the dinette.

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Do you want privacy, light blocking, or temperature control?

With tension rods, I don't think the cushion is much of a problem (and if it is, it would be a problem with any mounting method). The shepherd's hook pole is the problem.

5. Enz0

Enz0 Member

A combination of privacy and blocking light. If someone is sleeping, someone else could move about the main space with a light on and not disturb them quite as much.

Was thinking, whether it's velcro around the top and sides or a tension rod it would be two curtains that meet in the middle at the shepherds hook and either velro, snaps, or a couple ties to hold them closed together.

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The back one isn't too bad because it's vertical and no seating in the way.

The front? Hmmmmmmmm. I guess a tension pole set way out past the hook might work. You'd have to leave the curtain(s) long enough to tuck behind the seat cushions, or maybe put dabs of velcro on the bottoms. Have you looked at what system is used in models that come with curtains? Are they all vertical bunk walls?

There's always magnets. I love them but I haven't sewed with them. I guess you could wash magnetic curtains if you stick a spare magnet to the magnets inside the curtain beforehand? Bet you'd figure that out while sewing them into the hem...

7. Enz0

Enz0 Member

Agreed, the back one should be easy, just a spring rod and let it hang straight down.
    No idea what they do for factory installed curtains in a hybrid. In my pop-up they had a track that little plastic clips slide through, but they didn't have to deal with a sloping wall.

I hadn't thought about using magnets. Sounds like a reasonable solution for getting the curtain to hug the slope of the bunk end, while also being easy to remove. Appreciate the idea.

8. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

That's the first hybrid I've seen without curtains. All Roo/Shamrock hybrids have always had them and I believe Jayco and Starcraft do too.

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Your camper looks a lot like ours inside. From what I see the same floor plan. The boys are sleeping on the front bunk and the wife and I on the back. Have plans for a curtain for the opening to the back bunk, but no plans for a front one. A lesson learned from our PUP bunk curtains. If they are solid panel curtains covering the entire bunk opening your AC and furnace aren't going to help you much in the bunk with them closed. You will need a mesh material or drop straps at the top of the curtains.

10. Enz0

Enz0 Member

I'm not sure why they don't include curtains, probably saves on manufacturing costs... I youtubed some dealer videos just to confirm it doesn't come with curtains from the factory. Being we got it used, there was the chance a prior owner had taken them out.

It's a 2015 Coachmen Clipper 16rbd

We went to JoAnn's Fabric over the weekend and bought some fabric; 40 dollars later, now I've got to teach myself how to sew curtains. I think we're going to go with we'll placed velcro attachments for now and see how it works. Gives us the option the unvelcro around the Shepard hook to keep a triangle space open to allow for AC airflow.

Once they are done (probably some point later this week) I'll see about posting a couple pictures.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and thoughts.

11. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

I
    I always liked those canopy type with one hook in the ceiling and then like a sheer netting type material, do you know what I mean, like in old movies, my sister got one for her daughter's bed. I dont know if you'd like sheer.

12. Enz0

Enz0 Member

I got my inner seamstress on yesterday. Kind of like John Spartan (Sylvester Stallone) in the movie Demolition Man. "I'm a seamstress? - That's great. I come out of cryo-prison and I'm Betsy-f-ing-Ross"

Not that I've been to prison, but that's the quote that came to mind... Anyway, I sewed up a couple curtains. 3 Yards of fabric and $40 later I have a workable double sided, 100% light blocking, bunkend privacy screen.

Opted to hang it via a spring tension rod so that they can be easily opened and closed. Still need to figure out the best option for keeping them in line with the bed slope. For now tucking them under the mattress and behind the bench seat seems to work.

Resized_20210330_164401_9818.jpeg

Resized_20210330_164656_5884.jpeg

sandreas and Jim K in PA like this.
  13. persh

persh New Member

Great job! Well done. A little velcro on the bottom edge might save mattress tucking or maybe another extension rod.