Bunk end mattresses.

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by dbhost, Jun 7, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The pop up I am working on getting is a mid 90s Coleman. It has a king size bunk end over the tongue of the trailer, and a queen on the back. And both mattresses are funky and in need of replacement.

What is the thickest mattress I can use as a replacement, especially if I want to leave the bedding on it folded up so we can just set up and hit the sack should we arrive in camp late...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I have a. 04 Fleetwood and have original stock mattress. I have a fatigue mats under the bed for comfort and I'm just able to keep a sheet, and light weight blanket on the bed. Heavier blanket I have to take off and fold up as i will not be able to close things up. I also have to put a waterproof mattress cover over the bedding especially if it's going to rain to prevent wet bedding. Every camper is different and it's best to do an empty tissue box test to verify how much room you have to play with when you fold things up. Put that tissue box towards the end and not the center though. My old 1990 Jayco I had no room between mattress and roof. Other than a sheet that was the only thing I could keep on the bed.

3. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

I put an air mattress under my foam mattress. I really like the queen size
    ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed
    This mattress has its fill valve on the side, so it's easy to fill. I'm the only one sleeping on the king end, and the queen works just fine. I have to fold the sides of the air mattress in before I push the bunk in or it may tear holes (happened on a cheaper vinyl mattress). The air/foam mattress makes for a VERY comfortable night.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Okay so we did some measurements closed, and it looks like from the platform to the roof, in the closed position there is about 10". I can get an 8" memory foam mattress and at least basic bedding minus the pillows on there and close the roof!