Bunk fan/lights, are they woth getting?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by peppster66, Dec 10, 2011.

1. peppster66

peppster66 New Member

Hi,well, its Christmas time, and I was thinking of treating myself to something for the pup, and have seen those bunk fan/light combos, and thought that they might be a good idea , between my wife and 2 daughters, I am thinking they would get used a fair bit, so I just wanted to ask if anyone here uses them, and do they like them, or are they just a novelty that wears off and no one ends up using them, and they end up in the drawers, please let me know when you get a chance,,,thanks,,,,Josef,,,

2. omit

omit New Member

I have the bunk fan lights and really enjoy them. Use them year round while camping. In winter - I put it near the furnance to blow the warm air to other end of camper, during summer I aim so air flows nicely into bunk ends. Year round I use the light to read in bed! e-trailer.com has them cheap most of the time.

3. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

We always put ours up on both ends. We have a Westlake that has 2 king size bunks It keeps the air circulating in the summer, and though the light burnt out in one, we do use the light on the other.

4. brucea

brucea Member

Yes, there a must. We love ours!!!

Bruce

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I had them in my old PUP. They were better than nothing but I wasn't 100% satisfied with them. The extra light was OK but I still needed a battery lantern supplement for reading. The fans worked adequately but were loud, especially on the high setting. There is no way I could sleep with the fans going.

If you get them, get them from etrailer. They are about half of what Coleman wanted. Be sure you have the proper jack receptacle in your ceiling light fixtures.

6. kingsrider

kingsrider New Member

I picked one up on Ebay. It works well, but as Tripod said, the fan is loud on the high setting. I just saw a listing (Ebay) for $32 with free shipping

7. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I bought 2 A month ago. The kids will like the white noise and will use to blow the heat around on cold nights. My air is so cold it's like a meat locker, so will mainly use the lights in the summer.

8. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

Used ours a lot the last 2 years. Glad I got them our Westlake has no A/C kept it cool enough to be able to sleep this past summer. Got mine on eBay price has skyrocketed the last year so almost everyone must want them.

9. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Personally, I think they make more noise than they moved air. Basically useless IMO. The PUP came with two of them and we tried them out on the first campout and since then they have remained in storage.

10. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

We have used ours for years, there great to have. They make great reading lights in the bunk. When it's really hot out, they help move alot of air with the roof fan vent. Yes, they might be noisy on high but I have cooler more comfortable popup so I don't mine.

11. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Just a suggestion, If you don't need the light, here is a small fan that moves a lot of air, the Hella 2 speed Turbo Fan. We have this fan and it works great!

[UNI]

12. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    My camper came with lights, but not fans. I don't use them, but that's not to say that no one would find them useful. When I have the heat or A/C on, I don't have any problem with keeping the bunks comfortable, even without the fans. As Unstable Tripod said, they aren't great for reading. They provide basic illumination in the bunk. I attached broom clamps to some LED lights that I can attach to my shepherds poles that use WAY less electricity and still perform the same function.

13. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I have 3 - one each for the bunk ends and one for light over the glideout dinette. They are helpful in moving the air so there's less chance for a condensation shower - especially at night. I've closed the curtains on the bunk ends during the day when using AC, so the body of the camper is cooler, then at night turned the AC down and opened the curtains, directed the fans to the rear of each bunk to draw the cool into the bunk - they do work well.

14. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

we use ours. we have three, two came with ther pup new and and we bought a third from e-trailer. The two that came with the trailer are noisy but the one from e-trailer is far less noisy.

The lights are great and the fans are okay. we have bought smaller fans that have spring clips to move air.

15. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

We have one for each bunk. We found the fans to be too loud, but use the light. The lights are great for when after the kids are asleep and the over head lights are too bright. We do use the fans during the day to circulate air.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

peppster66 .. you have a pm ... [;)]

17. peppster66

peppster66 New Member

Thank you,, I replied to your pm,,,thanks,,,

18. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I like mine , and i got them super cheap. you can fnid them on e trailer for way less then the command version. The optronics one i have look identical.

Cheers
    A

19. tvketchum

tvketchum New Member

Yes. It is how my wife and I survive hot, humid nights.