Bunk seal replacement.

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Riveyman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Require a little assistance. I'm looking to replace the front and rear bunk seal on my Hybrid. They are a bit worn out. I'm just not able to find them while search the internet.
    The attached image has what I need. It's white and 5/8" wide and about 1/2" thick. (forgot to measure that).
    Anyone have any idea where I can find these? They are not leaking YET, but want to replace them before they start.
    Thanks,
    Randy

Attached Files:

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Contact Dutchmen and see if they can get you a price on the seals. I doubt it but there may even be a factory recall on those (never hurts to ask).

ownerrelations@keystonerv.com

Toll Free - 866-425-4369

3. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

yup, If i am seeing the picture right that is the bunk seals. I have the 2005 Cub which is similar. The PO replaced the seals but I am not sure he did a good job at it or he bought something too large. When I get home I can check if I still have the receipt he gave me from that and maybe they can help you. If you find anything else please let me know because I think I am just going to rip what he put and get new ones.
    Whereabouts in NC are you? If you happen to have a picture of the bunk beds open but not made so the seals and the Velcro on the side of the door can be seen then I can tell you if what I have is the OEM type seals or if he just got something different. I dont think mine are OEM....

4. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Well, I called the number Dubbya listed and they told me they don't have part numbers. And suggested contacting my local dealer.
    The place I've been buying my other parts, happens to be the dealer near me. But when I asked them last week, they handed me a giant catalog and told me to look through it. Go figure. There is another dealer in the area. I'll give them a call and see what I can find out.

Nandy, I'm near Greensboro. You?

5. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Ok, Here are a couple more pictures.
    The screw cover strip is in hand. Found and ordered 35 feet for $7. Tried to clean what is there but as you can see, no luck.
    Will keep searching for the seal.
    Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Dutchmen, whose customer service now falls under Keystone RV's umbrella will most likely be no help. From what I found attempting to deal with them on my previous trailer they are simply morons. That being said I doubt that no one who was involved with the 2006 door design is still employed or involved and those doors were pre- LCI door assembly. I think the LCI doors came out around 08/09. Finding the exact seal may be really tough if not impossible. They probably had a custom run of it made back then.

What you might be able to use and it might even work out better is the seal that LCI uses on the current generation of bunk doors they provide. Its called D with double flange but get ready for sticker shock as it's not cheap.

D w/doubleflange

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Just a suggestion but be sure to check out Autobody and parts supply shops or any place (online or off) that sells things like trunk lid seals or car door seals.

Yeah, the stuff isn't cheap, that's for certain.

azbirddog42 likes this.
  8. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Im in Charlotte, sorry for the delay but the past few days have been full...
    http://uni-grip.com/?page_id=1621
    Look in their rv catalog, the sd-313-t tape seal is what he used for the bunk doors. He bought 40 feet at $2.00. He also got 40 feet of sd-1130 which is an edge trim, I assume what he used in the trip around the bunk doors. He also ordered 15 feet of sd-210-t which is also a tape seal but not sure where he put it.

I will try to get a picture of what I have in my trailer but it is definitely not OEM. I think it is a bit too thick and reason why it is coming off on the top round corners as the door Velcro does comes in contact with it in the last few inches of closing and it pulls it in. It could also be the way he install it, not sure.

If you find anything closer to the OEM please let me know. I might go that route...

Thanks and good luck!

9. Old_Geezer

In hindsight when you said "round corners" a bulb lit up. I didn't realize LCI was involved as early as 05/06, but evidently they were, possibly before LCI acquired Kinro door. The D with double flange I linked to above is the OEM seal. At least it was in 2013 and 2011. LCI had sent me enough to do re do both doors on our 2013 when I sent them pictures of the install at the radius corners from the factory. The tech at LCI I talked with at the time said the double flange was important. The flange to the inside acts as a second seal in addition to the D part of the seal. The other flanges should be installed so it projects out through the gap between door edge and frame as it acts as a drip edge. Water will follow that flange edge down to the bottom. The bottom of the seal is supposed to be left long and actually hang out about 3/4" below the hinge assembly so any water that runs down the seal drips off. A lot of the RV manufacturers apparently cut this off after installation and created an issue.

The LCI doors had many design changes over the years but all were mostly to the hinge area. the perimeter frame at sides and top with the radius corners remained the same. The latching system varies as that does not come as part of the door assembly from LCI, the RV manufacturer provides and installs it.

LCI used to have links to the bunk doors all on their website with details, installation instructions, parts diagrams etc. All of it mysteriously disappeared a few years back yet they still provide the doors to RV manufacturers. I bet they were sued over damage from a leak by someone and that's the reason they took down the info and stopped offering the other door parts in their online store.

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Dang, they will charge me $11 plus for just one feet which is what I want to make sure it fits properly before ordering 40 feet... I will probably give them a call to see what they can do once I get back from this next trip....

Here is how mine looks...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to do another caulk run this week...

11. Old_Geezer

That's definitely an early version of the current LCI/Kinro door.

The newer doors have a continuous hinge that extends all the way to the seal, and its self draining that if water does get in it runs out the end of the hinge.
    In you bottom picture the caulk joint on the door itself at the bottom, between the aluminum bottom channel and fiberglass panel that looks dark in your picture, is a very important joint from a maintenance standpoint. Check it often. Seal up the 45* corner in that channel also with some good caulk. If water gets in that lower door channel it will wick up through the luan in the door.

12. roc87

roc87 New Member

Thats funny...I have an 05 cub and I stopped by a dealer in Hickory and requested a bunk end seal as to replace the white stripping and they gave me the exact same seal as pictured above.I used some double sided tape to help it stick but it still won't hold in place on the sides well but it has worked for a while now.

13. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Which is the one they gave you, the oem type or the replacement type that I got? if you dont mind which dealer was that and what was the pricing on it? you can pm me if you feel better answering that way.
    Thanks!

14. roc87

roc87 New Member

I had already peeled off the oem type with hopes of someone having it,but it was shot anyway.they gave me the fat replacement one.it was pretty cheap though.I paid $32 and it went around the bunk with a little left over.I can't remember the name but it's straight up hwy 321,in Lenoir I think on the left hand side.

15. roc87

roc87 New Member

Ok,as I am re-reading the post,my cub had a firm thin D shape strip that was white and it had gotten hard and split apart.the replacement that I got,that I figured was wrong,was like the fat one in your pic but it was in black.it actually sort of squeezes out around the door and seals up when it's closed...maybe it is correct for it?

16. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

To me the replacement you got (and the PO installed in mine) should be better. The only problem I am having is that the tape is coming off at the curves because the seal touches the door and the door then pushes and pull on it when closing opening and closing. If you just paid $32 that was an awesome price. I still have the receipt from the PO, he order it from the factory and paid over $100 for the seal for both doors.

Is it:
    Bumgarner Camping Center, Inc  
    SW, 2206 Hickory Blvd, Lenoir, NC 28645
    Phone:(828) 728-5112

???

17. roc87

roc87 New Member

Yes that's it,mine did well for a while and then it started to peel loose on the sides when closing the bunk end up front.it has worked fine at keeping the water out though.

18. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Great! Thanks!

19. roc87

roc87 New Member

You are welcome,hope I was helpful

20. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

You more than definitely are!