Bunked supports...please help!

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by CappysWife, Jun 7, 2015.

1. CappysWife

CappysWife New Member

On our last camp out (October 2014) our queen bunk end supports failed. Hubby and I were sitting in bed ready to watch a movie (it was raining) when both supports let go. The rivets sheeted off of both supports. I have been to the local RV shop and they can't find a replacement support and basically gave up. I would like to replace all 4 supports since I am not confident in the double bunk end now, especially since our kids and dogs sleep there. I have attached photos (hope they work) to show the supports on the double bed and how they go into the frame. Also the broken ones and the slot the supports go into the tong of the pup. It's a '91 Coachman Clipper and all 4 supports are 42" long. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Me ('78), DH ('75), DD ('04), DS ('07) & fur baby ('11)

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

The poles themselves look like regular EMT tubing, so you are OK there. I personally would replace the fixture under the bunk from the one that you have to the near universal current styles (as far as I know) of the simple inverted hat style. For these the end of the pipe is crimped (flattened) and bent at an angle to fit. Very easy to make poles for these and the fixture under the bed is very secure. Can't get you a pic right now, but I'm sure there are some on this site.

3. R00

R00 Active Member

It is an easier fix, but they won't have swing up supports anymore.

I hate stowing my poles on the floor of the trailer. They always seem to work free and bash walls.

4. R00

R00 Active Member

Pull those plates, fab new u-brackets and re-rivet. If the bolts holding the plates to the plywood aren't thru bolts, make them so, with stout washers. This is an easy rebuild.

As said before, the poles are just drilled and riveted EMT. Super common.

5. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

6. CappysWife

CappysWife New Member

Thank you so much guys. We bought a rivet gun and rivets and going to try the fix this weekend. Let you guys know how it turns out.

Me ('78), DH ('75), DD ('04), DS ('07) & fur baby ('11)

7. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

Make sure you use steel rivets - the aluminum ones will not last long in this application

8. capy235co

capy235co Member

I would feel much better with a stainless bolt and a nylock not with washers of course.

9. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

Another option is a pin w/ a ring. Easy to install, easy to remove, and handles shear stress better than a threaded fastener.

10. kantonburg

kantonburg New Member

Did you guys happen to get this fixed?

11. CappysWife

CappysWife New Member

We did. Not only did we rivet the broken side but switched the double bunk supports (not broken) with the repaired supports. They happened to be the same size. We went camping without the kids to test it out. The dogs slept on the repaired supports (150 lbs or so) and it held. Thank you all for the great help.