Bunkend support poles

Lane Jacobs

Mar 18, 2022
We want a simple solution to adding additional support poles for one bunk. I saw an entry where someone was using adjustable ratchet poles to accomplish this. After some research it looks like these poles are usually used horizontally to secure cargo in a truck bed. I’m having trouble finding info on using them vertically as supports. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!!

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
As you can guess, the problem with vertical poles is the variable heights you'll run across at different campsites. If you look at really old campers, like a Coleman Colorado (I believe), they used vertical poles. these evolved into supports going diagonally to hard-points on the the frame. And now, some manufactures have gotten rid of the supports and have gone with cables which go from the end of the beds, and up to the roof, and I assume down through the lift system to the frame. That new system I'm not really kine on, based on the "average" weight of most North American consumers.

Anyway, What is your concern that you feel you need extra support? And what is the make/model/year of your camper?

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
Most stock bunk end support systems will support 1000 lbs. Do you have a situation that is beyond this?

Victor Brumm

Jul 9, 2019
We want a simple solution to adding additional support poles for one bunk. I saw an entry where someone was using adjustable ratchet poles to accomplish this. After some research it looks like these poles are usually used horizontally to secure cargo in a truck bed. I’m having trouble finding info on using them vertically as supports. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!!
Try these. I have a set.
Dumble RV Slide Out Stabilizer Jacks – 16in-28in Travel Trailer Stabilizer Jacks Camper Jack Stands, 2 Piece Set https://a.co/d/ed56yUD

Lane Jacobs

Mar 18, 2022
As you can guess, the problem with vertical poles is the variable heights you'll run across at different campsites. If you look at really old campers, like a Coleman Colorado (I believe), they used vertical poles. these evolved into supports going diagonally to hard-points on the the frame. And now, some manufactures have gotten rid of the supports and have gone with cables which go from the end of the beds, and up to the roof, and I assume down through the lift system to the frame. That new system I'm not really kine on, based on the "average" weight of most North American consumers.

Anyway, What is your concern that you feel you need extra support? And what is the make/model/year of your camper?
We have a 2018 Jayco Jay Sport 10SD and it appears the rear bunk sags a bit. We just want to be assured it’s not going to collapse!!

Briorick

Sep 2, 2012
Southern Illinois
1665092055974.png
Here are the Ratchet Poles you mentioned. I have spoke with this member and they say they are working perfectly. Not for total weight support, but for additional support, and to help lessen the sag on their bunk end. They seemed happy with the results.

Jim Keeling

Jul 22, 2021
Georgetown, Tx
Build your own. I did. Best you can get. Can send photo.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
It can be a simple solution, too:

Lane Jacobs

Mar 18, 2022
View attachment 88478
Here are the Ratchet Poles you mentioned. I have spoke with this member and they say they are working perfectly. Not for total weight support, but for additional support, and to help lessen the sag on their bunk end. They seemed happy with the results.
Good to know this provides the bunk end support that some of us are looking for. Pic is helpful, too. Thank you, Lane

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Cool! Is it attached to the tongue? If so, how? Thanks! Lane
No, it's not permanently attached. There are two small metal dowels in the bottom that fit into two small hole in the tongue. Those holes were already in the tongue. I didn't have to drill them. The dowels prevent the support from slipping off or moving. On the top, I have a bungee cord that just holds the top portion in place. I also added two small pieces of flat wood to the underside of the bunk to act as stops and prevents the support from slipping forward. It's held there by the bungee. It takes just seconds to install it and seconds to remove it.

Lane Jacobs

Mar 18, 2022
No, it's not permanently attached. There are two small metal dowels in the bottom that fit into two small hole in the tongue. Those holes were already in the tongue. I didn't have to drill them. The dowels prevent the support from slipping off or moving. On the top, I have a bungee cord that just holds the top portion in place. I also added two small pieces of flat wood to the underside of the bunk to act as stops and prevents the support from slipping forward. It's held there by the bungee. It takes just seconds to install it and seconds to remove it.
Thanks for the details! Ingenious fix.👏👏

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Thanks for the details! Ingenious fix.👏👏
I know the manufacturer says that the bunk can hold 1,200 lbs. But I was always afraid to move out toward the far end of the bunk for fear of breaking it off and falling. I always felt like I was sleeping over a cliff. With that support I made, the bunk is as solid as a rock. I now have no fear to move way out. I don't ever climb out of the rear bunk. I have no need to use it as a bed since I am alone. Instead, I use the rear bunk as a place to store things while on site. That frees up all the other space in the small Viking.

I mean no disrespect! But those poles that Briorick shows in his photo look problematic to me. They look like they could easily be knocked out, or just fall out as the supporting ground settles. It appears that the first time you put any weight on the bunk, the supports would settle a bit. My stabilizer jacks sometime settle a bit after a few days of camping. When that happens, I would have to go around and adjust them. I don't have to adjust the bunk support with my T support. I considered something like the poles for the rear bunk because there is no tongue back there to attach a support. But in many of the camp sites I go to the ground is very uneven, and sometimes there is snow. It would take me a while to adjust them and make them firm. That's when I came up with the T frame I made. My device fits in between the two factory supports.

Last edited: