Burning tableware

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by robsheila, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

In the words of Ron White, " Ya can't fix stupid !! "

2. rawlus

rawlus New Member

It's all about degrees. Burning wood in a campfire produces toxins too.

I Don't support burning plastics and other materials, but generally don't have an issue with paper plates, napkins, paper towels, newspaper, etc... The compostable utensils are also an option, a bit sturdier than plastic but made with plant materials instead of petroleum based materials. Usually corns starch, potato starch or the leftovers from cane sugar processing or some grass byproduct...

3. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

So napkin companies use toxic inks on the napkins we wash our children up with ?

I would have asked for that rangers badge and chucked it into the fire.

Sorry Sweety use your arm , napkins are toxic .LOL

[​IMG]

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

See, now ^THIS made me LOL!! That's funny right there, don't care who ya are!

5. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Here in Texas we can't burn anything. Too dry!!!! Need rain badly. But we don't burn any trash in our fire pits at all. I wouldn't want to cook over plastic. Yikes! But we've had to dig a few burned aluminum cans out of the fire pit a time or two. My son is a scout so we practice "leave no trace" when camping.

6. iapaint4fun

iapaint4fun Camping with small daughter and my mom? Popup time

LOVE this post. I camped across the "road" from a family this summer. Our kids intersected on the play ground a time or two. As they were packing up their tent, their son was feeding the styrofoam cooler into the fire. As billows of black smoke went literally straight toward us, I asked, across the road, mind you, "would you mind not doing burning that? It's making my head hurt." And, yes, they were po'ed. They stopped, but no more friendly smiles and such.

I remember this debate when I was a child -- don't burn plastic, don't burn tires. Don't litter. And someone told me last week they almost had a veer off the road as they were fighting with their child about a wrapper, and her demanding child to "toss it out the window."

Really?

Now, I'm a pretty good environmentalist, we recycle, are really thoughtful about hvac, water consumption, types of cleaning products, etc. We actually wash silver ware camping, and use paper plates only when there are a million people at the meal. I'm ok with our own incongruities.

But I don't get burning plastic and littering. Seems like a base line to me, but I'm usually "rose colored" about such things.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Burning that kind of stuff releases toxic gases into the atmosphere, which is bad enough on its own. However, those people ought to be concerned about what their son was breathing while burning that foam cooler.

8. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

what c c could possib bbbly happ pen th that <shutter> w w w would mmmmake you think there would be any ha ha harm in bb b b burning <twitch> foam c c c coollllers <shrug-headroll> ?

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

[:D]

10. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

We use the used napkins, paper towels and paper plates to start our fires. They can't be recycled anyway. Then use regular utinsels that we wash.

11. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Hey, that's what dogs are for.... [DOG]

12. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

A man went to visit his 90 year old grandfather in a secluded, rural area of the state. After spending the night, his grandfather prepared breakfast for him consisting of eggs and bacon. He noticed a film-like substance on his plate and he questioned his grandfather, "Are these plates clean?"

His grandfather replied, "Those plates are as clean as cold water can get them so go on and finish your meal."

That afternoon, while eating the hamburgers his grandfather made for lunch, he noticed tiny specks around the edge of this plate, and a substance that looked like dried egg yolks. So he asked again, "Are you sure these plates are clean?"

Without looking up from his hamburger, the grandfather says, "I told you before, those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them, now don't ask me about it anymore!"

Later that afternoon, he was on his way out to get dinner in a nearby town. As he was leaving, Grandfather's dog started to growl and would not let him pass, "Grandfather, your dog won't let me out."

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching, Grandfather shouted, " "COLD WATER", GET OUT OF THE WAY!"

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

[LOL] [LOL] [8D]

14. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

It is sad that people don't know enough not to burn plastics and styrofoam. [{:)] [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C] [!]