Buses - I'll rethink that mode of transportation

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by nancyanddan, Aug 18, 2014.

1. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

So yesterday afternoon we're on a bus back to Greenwich Village after a trip out and back on the Staten Island Ferry. We were sitting at the very back of the bus, on seats that were slightly elevated. Dan was next to the window and I was next to him. I had nothing to hold into as there were no seats in front of me - just the aisle. The bus was proceeding along and all of a sudden a yellow cab stopped dead in front of the bus, the bus driver slammed hard on the brakes, and I flew off the seat, hitting the floor with my face and left arm. It torqued my neck and back pretty good, and I knew right away I wanted to be evaluated by medical personnel. So the ambulance came and transported me to New York Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan. The X rays showed no broken bones. Right now I'm very sore in my neck, upper back, arms and hands - and a beauty of a shiner around my left eye. Hopefully I'll improve enough to travel back to Boston tomorrow on the Amtrak. Then we'll try and find a local optometrist who can hopefully twist my glasses back into shape. Whew.....

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Welcome to New York! Now get the heck out. [;)]

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Wow, Sorry to hear about that. I was just wondering how you trip was going. Glad nothing was broken. Hope you feel better soon.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Sorry to hear about the bad break. I hope the pain and soreness go away fast.

BTW: Thanks for the story which I can now use as an excuse to DW about why I won't ride a bus. [;)] [}:)]

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just some advice. You should wear a wristband with your attorney's name, phone number and address on it.

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about your mishap on the bus, I too am a bus driver so I am sure the driver had to do what he had too to avoid a collision, most people don't realize that these large vechiles don't stop like a car. it is hard sometimes here in PA driving around, so I am sure the 10 million cabs in New York can be a real pain in the arsh! I bet 80% of those cab drivers don't even know half the rules on the road, and are constantly in a hurry! . I hope your wounds heal fast, and you can enjoy the rest of your trip home.

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Scary, Godspeed on recovery. [:!]

8. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

Nancy,

That stinks!!! [:(] So hope you are feeling better real soon!!

9. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear about your injury Nancy. Hopefully you heal quickly!

10. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I believe I'll be O.K. and that Dan and I will be able to continue on with our vacation as planned. I think what scared me most was the chance that our vacation could come to a screeching halt if I had something serious going on due to the bus accident.

Anyway, once Dan checks out and fixes a couple of hopefully minor issues with the TV (light on dash came on that says 'tire sensor fault) and pup (right turn signal and brake light on right not working - and bulb is new) we'll be on our way from Hingham, MA to Spearfish, SD. We plan to leave on Friday and take a 4-5 days to get there. We're meeting my son and his GF as he's riding in a 50-mile mountain bike race in Spearfish on the 31st. We'll be camping at Chris' Campground in Spearfish; Kelly and Katie will be staying at a nearby B&B. Stay tuned for vacation photos soon; though I promise I'll spare you the photo of my very-colorful black eye. ;)

11. idowatsu

idowatsu New Member

Sounds like you will get a settlement . If that is the case, I would recommend massage therapy from a nationally certified therapist about 2X a week for a few weeks to resolve the soft tissue damage. That pain can linger permanently if not treated. Keep the receipts and have the therapist document the sessions. You can be reimbursed for them in the settlement. I would recommend massage even if you don't get a settlement.

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

Wow, that's certainly not the experience you signed up for!

13. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Sorry to hear, hope you will soon be feeling better and can enjoy the rest of your vacation.