But WHERE to make the repairs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Muller 5, Feb 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM.

1. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I have several things that I need to work on in my pup. However, I have zero space to work. My garage is tiny, my driveway is steeply sloped. The city frowns on having the camper in front of the house either in the street or the yard, plus I have tattletale neighbors who will call the police. Can't get to the backyard. Any ideas of a place I can set up for several days to work on the inside without incurring too many fees? What have you done in this situation? I won't be able to work on it for at least a month unless I can find an inside space, so I have some time to figure it out.

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Where do you work? Is that a possibility?

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Just deal with the steep slope

4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I'd be scared to go in the camper set up on the slope. I'm irrationally scared of the chocks and hitch jack giving way.

5. jeeper88

None of your friends have a garage you could borrow for a short time? Also what do you call steep?

6. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

No, I basically work at group homes. Construction around my clients would not be safe.

7. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

4 feet of flat by the garage and then 25-30* slope for 8-10 feet.

8. jeeper88

No group homes would not be good at all!!

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You could build a temporary ramp for the tongue jack to travel on and wheel the trailer farther out of the garage. One of my garages sits with the floor 8 inches higher than the ground with a very steep ramp. I have in the past backed a car that I was working on into the garage then with two long 2X12 extended the boards from garage floor to the ground outside. The far end would be about 2 feet off the ground. With 4 stacked supports, 2 at the end and 2 at 6 feet I could move the car out on the boards to work underneath it safely. If the weather was going to be bad, just roll the car back in. Slide the boards underneath the car and put away the supports. May not seem like a good idea but this worked like a dream for me. My supports are made strong and interlock with the boards.

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

A campsite is a nice place to setup! Depending on what you want to do, many projects are doable while camping - you find that out as things break! [:)C]

kcsa75, shuang2 and J Starsky like this.
  11. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Power, water, picnic table for your stuff. Sounds right. Bring extension cords

kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  12. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Find some sort of empty lot somewhere and borrow or rent a Generator for power? Or just deal with the driveway slope. Some good wheels chocks should do. Good luck!

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

You could chain the trailer to your car - if you don't need to run to the hardware store again!

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like you I have no place to do repairs, I live in a townhouse with no garage and strict HOA.
    A campsite is how I make most of my repairs. I just pack my car with
    all my tools I can think of. I try and find a campground near a home improvement store for anything I don't have. However my repairs were all stuff I can do in a day or two and didn't interfere too much with setup. Got some strange eyes from a few camp neighbors wondering why I was under the camper but they all figured something broke while on my trip so never said anything. I finished what I could in daylight and stopped around dusk to complete the following day.

1380ken, kcsa75, neighbormike and 2 others like this.
  15. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Can you park it in the garage and work on it in there? I can open mine up (not all the way up but I'm not tall so it's not too much of a bother), with the garage door open I can pull out the bunk for room, then just push it in when I need to close up the garage.

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I have seen people set up campers on hills where you would expect to see a bill goat climbing.